AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand I need an OTA antenna to get local channels.

If I install an antenna, what kind of cableing does it need to get to my DTV box? Can the OTA signal use the same wire that DTV uses? My cable tv signal and DTV share wiring by using "magic switch" - some type of diplexer, I think.

I'd rather not run another wire from outside to the TV setup if I don't have to.

Is there anything wrong with the OTA antenna being right next to/attached to the dish?

Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rsingleton
I understand I need an OTA antenna to get local channels.
OTA doesn't necessarily mean outdoors. You could have a small indoor antenna near the TV.

If I install an antenna, what kind of cableing does it need to get to my DTV box? Can the OTA signal use the same wire that DTV uses? My cable tv signal and DTV share wiring by using "magic switch" - some type of diplexer, I think.

If you're OTA is outdoors, run its own cable into the house close to where the satellite cable comes in. Use a diplexer into which the two cables go on the input side.

On the output side, run the cable to the TV.

Near the TV, place another diplexer where the single cable goes in one side and two cables come out -- one to the satellite input and one to the RF input.

Is there anything wrong with the OTA antenna being right next to/attached to the dish?In general, it's OK. Terk sells OTA antennas that clip onto the satellite dish.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by StanZ
...Terk sells OTA antennas that clip onto the satellite dish.
It might not have been, but it sounded like a Terk endorsement. Terk is flogged mercilessly here. Do a search for "Terk" before you consider buying one.

Brian

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stickyfingers
It might not have been, but it sounded like a Terk endorsement...
You're right on the 'might not have been' -- I don't plan on ever buying a Terk antenna. Still, there are others who are satisfied with them.

But the issue at hand was how close an antenna could be to a satellite dish. That's what I was commenting on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.