AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that this player does not have the "re-size" feature that the 91 has. I have an RCA F38310 widescreen TV and when in progressive mode, it does not allow for manual resizing of the image. Is this going to mess up my anamorphic viewing? (will I be able to watch the anamorphic DVD stretched correctly?)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello,

The RP56 does NOT have the scaling capabilities of the RP91. This is because the RP91's Genesis de-interlacing chipset has scaling capability, and the RP56's Sage chipset does not have scaling capability.

Provided your anamorphic DVD titles are flagged correctly as anamorphic, then your RP56 will know this and scale correctly. Then 1.85:1 anamorphic titles will fill the entire 16:9 monitor, and 2.35:1 anamorphic titles will have smaller black bars and the correct aspect ratio.

However, if you play any non-anamorphic titles (those with HUGE black bars encoded as a part of the image), then if you TV monitor locks into full mode when playing progressive images, it will stretch it horizontally only to fit the width. Since the letterboxed title was meant to be played ONLY on a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor, the people will then look squashed and fat.

If your library has a lot of non-anamorphic/letterboxed titles, and your monitor DOES lock into full mode for all progressive inputs, then you definitely want a DVD player with internal scaling capability. There are a lot of older titles that were letterboxed. Some, like 2001, have been remade recently and are now anamorphic with better color, etc. Unfortunately, titles that are not as mainstream may never be redone in anamorphic.

I have the Panasonic RP91, even though my Mitsubishi 55809 16:9 monitor does not lock into full screen when playing progressive. I think the RP91 does a better job of scaling than my TV does. In my collection of about 60 DVD's, about 8 are letterboxed/non-anamorphic. I got a couple of those before I knew what to look for. The others were the only thing available at the time.

The RP91 also has better video signal quality, according to most reviewers - including the Secrets of Home Theater editors. This equates to a steadier signal with less noise, better color accuracy, etc. As has been said many times, de-interlacing is only one aspect of overall DVD picture quality.

Good luck!

Brian

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
What about the RP56 and the Pioneer SD-582HD5 HDTV? At least one guy is reporting the RP91 is having issues with upshifting of the image in progressive mode. I wonder if the same issue would exist with the RP56.

Does the Pioneer SD-582HD5 TV lock into full mode? If so that would essentially rule out the RP56.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I, too, have ordered a Panasonic RP-56 to go with the RCA F38310. Will this DVD player work properly with the RCA TV? If not, what other DVD player would work good with the RCA TV in this price range?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Rick, I think Brian answered as comprehensively as the question could be answered.

He said you will have problems with Non-anamorphic DVDs and if your TV locks into full mode if fed a progressive signal.
Quote:
However, if you play any non-anamorphic titles (those with HUGE black bars encoded as a part of the image), then if you TV monitor locks into full mode when playing progressive images, it will stretch it horizontally only to fit the width. Since the letterboxed title was meant to be played ONLY on a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor, the people will then look squashed and fat.
He also said that you wont have problems with anamorphic DVDs provided they are flagged correctly as anamorphic
Quote:
Provided your anamorphic DVD titles are flagged correctly as anamorphic, then your RP56 will know this and scale correctly. Then 1.85:1 anamorphic titles will fill the entire 16:9 monitor, and 2.35:1 anamorphic titles will have smaller black bars and the correct aspect ratio.
So I guess you need to know the incedence of incorrectly flagged anamorphic DVDs (I suspect you will not have a problem with this) and how many non-anamorphic DVDs you own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.