AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about Panasoinc model numbers.

I went to Laser Land in Cupertino CA. and saw the PT-50PD3-P. This is the "Tau" consumer model for Panasonic's latest 50" offering. I was blown away by the picture quality. It was truely awesome.

All over the internet you can find another new Panasonic 50 called the TH-50PHD3U. It doesn't seem to be exactly the same unit but it looks close. Does anyone here know what the differences are? Is it just the internal 3:2 pulldown processor? Can I just buy the TH model with an external scaler/processor? This TH model is all over Yahoo shopping with prices just dropping below $10K.

By the way, I contacted Panasonic and exchanged 3 emails with them. They couldn't answer:^) Generic customer service, gotta love it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, maybe I can answer my own question. From the panasonic literature for both products I see three differences.

(PT is the Residential product)

(TH is the Commercial product)

1) PT comes with the table stand.

2) PT has a TAU sticker in the upper left corner.

3) PT is FCC class B, TH is FCC class A.

The third item is the only one that is of any concern to me. But, it doesn't mean the panels are different, it just means that Panasonic only applied for class A on the TH. It doesn't mean it couldn't pass the more stingent class B requirements. So I think this is the only difference. The borchures read identically word for word except for model numbers and the FCC class.

So do any of you have either of these models?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.