AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the PS3 a few days ago with 8 movies and counting. Love it.

However, I have a question regarding the above noted title. On the menu options for the movie you have 5.1 uncompressed and 5.1 DD.

I'm running the optical to my Yamaha RX-V550. Choosing the DD 5.1 I display 640 Kbps. That's fine and expected. However, to my surprise I tried the 5.1 uncompressed track aagain using the optical out. My Yamaha lit up its PCM display and checking the movie I was gettiing 6.9 Mbs noted and linear pcm! This was using all channels as well. Color me ignorant but I didn't think I could get PCM through optical. Can someone enlighten me on this nice surprise.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe /forum/post/0

Bought the PS3 a few days ago with 8 movies and counting. Love it.

However, I have a question regarding the above noted title. On the menu options for the movie you have 5.1 uncompressed and 5.1 DD.

I'm running the optical to my Yamaha RX-V550. Choosing the DD 5.1 I display 640 Kbps. That's fine and expected. However, to my surprise I tried the 5.1 uncompressed track aagain using the optical out. My Yamaha lit up its PCM display and checking the movie I was gettiing 6.9 Mbs noted and linear pcm! Color me ignorant but I didn't think I could get PCM through optical. Can someone enlighten me on this nice surprise.

Unless you use HDMI, you are not going to get Uncompressed PCM (ie. lossless) audio track. Optical output has its limits...

Your best option is to get a receiver with HDMI which does 7.1 channels of PCM.

Any of the new Denon will work. Or you can get an Onkyo 674 if all you need is 5-channels of PCM.

Believe me, its worth it. You haven't heard anything until you hear lossless audio like uncompressed 5.1 or Dolby TrueHD (which the PS3 also handles).

·
Registered
3,606 Posts

Quote:

Well maybe I'm just dull but the specs of current toslink cables is 125 Mbps. Wouldn't this easily pass through which is why my Yamaha is lighting up PCM?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

This should be mandatory reading for you and everyone else who is confused:
5.1/7.1 PCM, HDMI, and DSP - An Explaination of the Future-Proof receiver

Quote:
SPDIF (Coaxial, Optical)

- Provides two channel lossless uncompressed PCM audio.

- Provides all pre-HDMI Dolby and DTS formats (5.1/6.1).

HDMI 1.1

- Provides up to 8 (7.1) channels of lossless uncompressed PCM audio.

- Provides all pre-HDMI Dolby and DTS formats (5.1/6.1).

- Provides DVD-Audio streaming as PCM.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts

Quote:

Well maybe I'm just dull but the specs of current toslink cables is 125 Mbps. Wouldn't this easily pass through which is why my Yamaha is lighting up PCM?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

Your only getting 2 channel PCM and the Yamaha is processing fake surround sound. Use Dolby or DTS until you get a PCM compatable HDMI receiver.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that confirms it's coming in as 2 channel lossless uncompressed PCM over the Yamaha receiver. Two speakers are lit up on the receiver with the PCM also lit up. That also means I can apply DDPLIIx processing to it. I clearly have all 6.1 channels active (although the center back is mono), yes that's including the LFE. So I'm wondering how the receiver is handling the sound. Is it actually processing the separate channels "artificially". Maybe someone can tell me what the Yamaha receiver is actually doing to the digital pcm signal to create the 6.1 channels.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus1099 /forum/post/0

Your only getting 2 channel PCM and the Yamaha is processing fake surround sound. Use Dolby or DTS until you get a PCM compatable HDMI receiver.

That's what I thought, see my question just below your answer. However, I think I'll stick with the 2 channel PCM with the DPLIIx processing as in fact there appears to be a nicer range and clarity to the sound. I've switched back and forth and I have to say, all that I need to do is increase the volume. But the standard 640 kbs DD isn't all that hot.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts

Quote:

Well that confirms it's coming in as 2 channel lossless uncompressed PCM over the Yamaha receiver. Two speakers are lit up on the receiver with the PCM also lit up. That also means I can apply DDPLIIx processing to it. I clearly have all 6.1 channels active (although the center back is mono), yes that's including the LFE. So I'm wondering how the receiver is handling the sound. Is it actually processing the separate channels "artificially". Maybe someone can tell me what the Yamaha receiver is actually doing to the digital pcm signal to create the 6.1 channels.

Its doing the same thing it would do to an audio CD. Just taking a 2 channel source and making up 3-5 other channels. It cant compare to 5.1 discrete.... even if thats only good old Dolby Digital.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts

Quote:

That's what I thought, see my question just below your answer. However, I think I'll stick with the 2 channel PCM with the DPLIIx processing as in fact there appears to be a nicer range and clarity to the sound. I've switched back and forth and I have to say, all that I need to do is increase the volume. But the standard 640 kbs DD isn't all that hot.

But surround sound is going to suffer from it. Test it by finding something with a good fly over scene.... airplane, spaceship, etc. It will not sound right the way you have it setup.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Yeah, it's b*#tch, the PCM sounds so much better, but I need the discrete surrounds.

Man, I can hardly wait for Theta to produce an HDMI option for the Casablanca....

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
What can’t a normal Dolby digital or dts decoder accept the discrete six-track mix forget about uncompressed can it or can it not play discrete six-track without the need of Dolby digital true or dts HD as I’m not in market for one as of yet just don’t have £600.00 pounds and yet Bluray is becoming so cheap in the UK might I might be thinking about buying a player for £150.00.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Since you have bought the PS3 the only way for you to get good sound is if you invest in a receiver with HDMI. If you had bought a standard blu-ray player with Analog 5.1/7.1 outs you could have gotten away without upgrading your receiver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.