AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IF anybody owns Philips 55pp9701 model can you please let me know what your opinion about it. Should i go with Sony KP-57XBR10W since now it 500$ cheaper then usual (Sony rebate).

Thank you for your input.

Mark

·
Registered
684 Posts
Heads up! Best Buy has a sale going on the 55PP9701. (Their website does not say when the sale ends.) Sale price is $2,847.92 [US].

[This message has been edited by AtlPaul (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Banned
136 Posts
Thanks for the price update AtlPaul. I Just purchased this set at Best Buy for $3299, and have been checking the store and the Best Buy web site while I am within my 30 days. You saw this drop before I did, so I went to Best Buy tonight and got a refund of the difference. Thanks for the tip.

TVCrazy:

So far, I really like the picture on the Philips. It's extremely clear on Dish HDTV HBO. I decided on it as a result of the review mentioned above, and the many positive comments from users on the Yahoo group for Philips HDTV.

------------------

George Waters

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey yah I got this set from my work place (Best Buy) and I love it, the picture is real nice and I have windows 98 running on it now as I type this via the vga port on it. so far no problems. I will post a update latter on.

Dean

------------------

Live without discipline, die without dignity.

·
Registered
255 Posts
deanzsho:

I suspect you know this, but thte set is SGVA (800 x 600) capable. Tou mentioned VGA so I thought I would confirm. This is a unique feture that only the Philips Digital RPTV's have. NOte that of you can, the Aux 4 and Aux 5 inputs are far superior to the others in terms of depth and color.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes it does do 800 x 600 no prob, but I actually am running 1120x630 on it as we speak, via the aux 4, y, pb, pr input! with the RCA vga to component adapter. It runs real nice and looks real good. FYI this set is now being listed as a CLEARANCE item at my work (Best Buy) so it is marked at it's lowest price since they have had it. After entering in the service codes and doing some very minuet adjustments I am very pleased with the set, but I would like to upgrade the DTC-100 to a Panasonic HD tuner. I believe it produces a better picture based on the one that is running at work. We have a real nice demo running at Best Buy now that shows the Space shuttle lifting off, all in HD with HD cameras, looks AWESOME. I do have to say though, this TV sure is forgiving when it comes to the various resolutions and refresh rates. When I tried to connect my pc to the new pioneer it just choked and spit it back at me, I did get it to work but the pioneer was real temperamental. But I do like the color on the Pioneer better.

That's my story, if you have any questions please post them in the forum to me, I'll get back to them in time, I work 6 days a week, but hell they pay me good for it.

William Dean

------------------

Live without discipline, die without dignity.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The 60PP9601, which I own, is basically the 55PP9701 with a taller (4:3) screen.

AUX 5 accepts 480p/960i, 540p/1080i, and 600p/1200i RGB. AUX 4 accept the same but component. The horizontal resolution is flexible, so, for example, you can do 1800x1200i. I would be surprised if for color or resolution a Pioneer Elite beat a calibrated Philips set on AUX 4 or AUX 5 - it's simply superb. HD looks great. Alas, the rest of the Philips inputs (the 480i ones) stink for color, so I suggest you avoid pumping 480i into the set at all costs, which means an external line doubler like a 600p Faroudja or 1080i HTPC. Pioneer Elites probably do have better contrast, due to their black linings.

Minuses:

Loud fan (fixable.)

There are no discrete input selection IR codes.

Funky edge geometry (mostly fixable.)

Poor performance on 480i input.

No aspect control on AUX 5 RGB (fixable.)

As for the Sony KP-57XBR10W, it's a HS10 in disguise, with all the poor quality control of those sets. Widescreen Sony RPTV's are way overpriced.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: T-bird 1.4, K7S5A, Radeon LE, accessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile
It's not HD. It's HBO.
s>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.