AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started noticing something now that I am using my TV as a monitor (22 inch Monitors power supply blew and it will take 4 days til warranty sends a new unit). On white screens (as well as other lighter images) the color seems to "bloom" for lack of a better word. Its like a mini- prism effect with no other colors, just sparkly white. I have tried wiping the screen but to no avail. Then I thought it might be the dreaded "rainbows" that haunt this forum, but it seems like they should be actual rainbow in appearance.... unless I am misunderstanding the issue. I sit about 7 feet away from the set (cannot spare anymore with investing in Keyboard extension LOL. Any ideas on what this could be.

P.S. Also the geometry of the computer screen seems off somewhat. I thought since this was a one chip solution, geometry wasnt a factor (but I guess it could be my imagination.... dunno).

·
Registered
118 Posts
What you are describing doesn't sound like rainbows.

Rainbows ussually occur when there is a white or light color on a dark background. Turning your head or darting your eyes separates the light image into red, green, and blue for a split-second.

I cannot really picture what you are describing, but if I were you I'd check your source.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by douglas mcc
I have just started noticing something now that I am using my TV as a monitor (22 inch Monitors power supply blew and it will take 4 days til warranty sends a new unit). On white screens (as well as other lighter images) the color seems to "bloom" for lack of a better word. Its like a mini- prism effect with no other colors, just sparkly white. I have tried wiping the screen but to no avail. Then I thought it might be the dreaded "rainbows" that haunt this forum, but it seems like they should be actual rainbow in appearance.... unless I am misunderstanding the issue. I sit about 7 feet away from the set (cannot spare anymore with investing in Keyboard extension LOL. Any ideas on what this could be.

AH HA! Seems like I am not the only one that sees this then. I posted about it and called it "graininess" and "twinkling". Yes, bright screens make the pattern more noticeable. It's not always in the same spot either. I tried using a microfibre cloth to clean the screen... didn't help. I sit 14 feet away from the screen. To my eyes, it now looks like it has to do with an interaction of the bright pixels and the "screen door effect" where you can see each pixel on the screen. Obviously the dark spaces between pixels are more noticeable when a bright screen is shown... seems like there is some sort of "rainbow twinkle" going on when that happens.

Thanks for pointing this out. Rest assured that you aren't the only one seeing this, and no, this isn't the same "rainbows" that everyone else is talking about. I can see those too... but not nearly as often as the "twinkles".

Hopefully we can get some sort of feedback on this issue.

For reference, here is my other post that relates to this issue. I tried to track down what it was, so you can see how my guesses progressed.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=248071

Thanks,

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.