AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used the search function and read through the threads comparing these 2 threads, but they seem to disagree with what I am seeing. Unfortunately, The only times I have ever seen Expressvu has been on small televisions, 25" and less. I have seen StarChoice on 61" progressive displays. When watching StarChoice I see many strange motion artifacts that I would assume come from compression. I don't see these same types of artifacts on analog cable, or Expressvu. Is the difference I am seeing due to the large difference in image size, and SC is better as many old threads imply, or has SC started compressing more?

Thank you,

Craig

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by C Schelp

Is the difference I am seeing due to the large difference in image size

Thank you,

Craig
Yes it is digital compression that you are seeing on the 61". To see the difference that compression makes, checkout the 4DTV compression levels (6mghz/signal) found on TSN and Sportsnet on SC versus the PQ on the Canadian locals (3 mghz/service).

For transponder loadings of various DTH/DBS services checkout the "digital services" links on www.lyngsat.com

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The question still remains. Which of the two services offers on average a higher picture quality today.

Southern Spy,

Thank you for the confirmation about what I am seeing and the link.

Craig

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have ExpressVu and when the picture is viewed on a 65" monitor, the picture is terrible. Compression is very, very noticable. On a 19" tv it looks okay.

The threads on the Canadian forum at kusat.com show a love/hate relationship. Both sides have their supporters and nobody is going to convice them otherwise.

Al Keown

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Al K
I have ExpressVu and when the picture is viewed on a 65" monitor, the picture is terrible
I have a 35" Mitsu TV.....On many StarChoice channels, IMO the picture quality is jaw dropping via a S-Video connexion....

..... As I type, the "Party at the Palace" concert is on CBC....very sweet PQ.

I also have been very impressed with the PQ of the World Cup on CBC & TSN.....the ESPN highlights seem dull by comparison.

Since StarChoice moved to the big one....world's most powerful commercial sat....Anik F1 we have had almost zero rainfade and a much improved picture (IMO lot's of tweaking have been going on at StarChoice!) :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.