AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying the PLV-Z1 because of the current Sanyo promotion (free lamp). I haven't been able to find any info. about the following issues:

1. How regular digital satellite (not HD) fed through S-Video looks on, for example, a 100" screen?

2. Can I watch the image at 4:3 aspect ratio or do I have to stretch it to 16:9?

2. How does the image look with a computer or a game console? I'm particularly curious about the compression from 1/4 HD to 800x600. Does the image look a bit distorted?

I'd greatly appreciate any help or additional advice.

·
Registered
885 Posts
1: I would lean toward 'not very good' without an external deinterlacer/scaler.

2: 4:3 is easy, set the projector to 'normal' mode.

3: Sort of blurred in my experience, but I have not spent much time tweaking that yet.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There is very little scaling between SD video and the projector. I would suggest perhaps a deinterlacer might be warranted (not sure), but a scaler is probably not warranted/needed.

I watched some SD last night OTA using a Zenith 420 and outputting over S-video. My "screen" was pretty tiny (about 33" diagonal) but I was pleased with how good the picture looked.

Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
3. Picture quality from a computer is very sharp as long as you have a decent graphics card that will do 960 x 540. Not using keystone also makes a big difference. Unreal 2 looks awesome on my projector. GameCube output looks decent too.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ditto on the gamecube. I bought a s-video cable for it and it looks great.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Output from my Geforce 3 is not very sharp at 960 x 540 even using all of the recommended 1:1 settings. The movies look decent, but the desktop, images and text are blurred. Perhaps I need to look at an ATI card. :)

Edit: Perhaps the default windows fonts are too small for an LCD projector.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
1) If you run non-HD sources (cable/sat, VCR, LD, etc) through a capture card--like the Flyvideo 2000--and the Dscaler program, it can look pretty good, not necessarily DVD quality, but still pretty good.

2) 4:3 images will have black bars on the sides, or you can stretch the image, or zoom in. Using Dscaler for stuff in 1) will let you adjust aspect ratios.

3) If you have the High Definition A/V pack for the XBox, most games will run in 480p mode, although a couple support 1080i and/or 720p (though not necessarily 16:9). PS2, even with component cables, looks a little blurry for some 480i games. I don't have any 480p PS2 games, unfortunately. Again, running the PS2 via composite or svideo cable to a capture card and using Dscaler looks pretty good.

On my system (Dell 2.4 Ghz w/Geforce4 MX420), I use Karnis' Powerstrip->HDTV guide for my settings and text, images, and the desktop are all clear. The settings for 1:1 pixel mapping have to be saved to the Z1, and loaded every time you switch resolutions or inputs, which kind of sucks, but it's only a couple of button presses. I haven't done any computer gaming, but I'd think it would look pretty decent. HD looks awesome.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Maybe I am missing something obvious, but how do I re-load a stored set of computer-input image adjustments on the Z1? Oddly enough, it does not explain how in the manual, only how to store the settings.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Hmm, I have the same problem with re-loading stored settings for the computer input too. I could never find the option to load it. Maybe the menu item is called something else? I'll have to do more checking.

At the moment, I have to enter each of the values separately.

On my Geforce 4 Ti4400-based HTPC, I set the Z1 to 1272 dots, horizontal position to 255, screen set to True mode, and the HTPC outputs 967x544 using Powerstrip. I get perfect 1:1 pixel mapping, with a 2 line crop, 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom.

I have to enter those values into the Z1 everytime I switch inputs or power on the projector. Ouch!

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Hmm, according to the manual, I can load a stored adjustment by going into the Computer System Selection menu. However, on my Z1, it always says "WIDETHRU" and an empty list! Arrrggghh. It's supposed to list my modes!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Same here, Max. I think I've read about this issue before, come to think of it. That is why I am tempted to try a good vga-component transcoder and just feed a 720p signal into the component input. I just wonder if there is a loss of quality vs the straight vga out.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Tech
Same here, Max. I think I've read about this issue before, come to think of it. That is why I am tempted to try a good vga-component transcoder and just feed a 720p signal into the component input. I just wonder if there is a loss of quality vs the straight vga out.
I have had people here assert that the VGA input is much better than the component input on the Z1. I don't have a HTPC, so I have not tested it myself.

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Thanks Mark!

I have a VGA-to-component transcoder. Drat, I just sold my BNC-to-VGA passthrough cable, so I can't test if using component to the Z1's VGA port would work too (as compared to using a component-to-VGA transcoder which I don't have).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.