AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I signed up to this forum hoping someone here could help me with my problem.

I have a Samsung 40 inch 530 series hdtv, and after research I found out the problem with the image on my tv is posterization. I get it from my blu-ray player, dvd playe, and digital cable. The blu ray source has the least, while the cable source has the most posterization.

Can anyone help me eliminate it, or at least improve the image quality? Can I adjust the settings to reduce it?

Maybe there is an option in the service menu, and how do I access that service menu anyway?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
You may just have a user setting out of appropriate adjustment. Have you attempted a basic calibration of your set? Brightness (black level), Contrast (white level), color, tint, sharpness? Are you operating the set in Standard picture mode? Your set has advanced controls in the user menu. A few of these settings could create poor picture quality if set to extreme values. Start with these set to normal/off, calibrate basic settings and then use the advanced menu one at a time while looking for an improvement.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Your Samsung picture/quality settings are set and saved separatly for each interface connector so that you can different settings for your DVD player, your BR player and your cable connection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. I definitely improved the picture. I had the dynamic contrast option set to high in the advanced menu. Turned that to low, and turned down the backlight.

Does anyone know what edge enhancement does?

Also, how do I get to the service menu?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_lubb /forum/post/17044976

.....Does anyone know what edge enhancement does?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_enhancement
IMHO, edge enhancement creates ugly shadows, and I generally don't use it, and when I do, it is in very small doses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_lubb /forum/post/17044976

Also, how do I get to the service menu?

Don't take this the wrong way, but your set has quite the array of user menu settings already available and I would recommend you experiment with those for picture quality improvement and steer clear of service menu fiddling for now. The service menu can be a dangerous place for the uninitiated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts