AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone confirm if powerline adapters work with media players or not without connecting to a router in between.For example if i connect one adapter with media player using ethernet cable and the other adapter with my PC. would i be able to acces the internal storage or stream from my PC. Currently Im running cross over cable right now, i do not want wireless connection because of low speeds.

If yes can anyone recommend any powerline adapter under $100.

·
Registered
237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministerjee /forum/post/19571353

can anyone confirm if powerline adapters work with media players or not without connecting to a router in between.For example if i connect one adapter with media player using ethernet cable and the other adapter with my PC. would i be able to acces the internal storage or stream from my PC. Currently Im running cross over cable right now, i do not want wireless connection because of low speeds.

I have never heard of them being used without a router. I do not think they are smart enough to work without one. Also, you can goto smallnetbuilder . com to check out reviews of all the powerline adapters. they just did one a few months back. I think the Netgears are sub $100.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:

I will try this and report back to you... never tried it that way before...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

Quote:

This should work.

What I have tried is as below: Connect a computer to the powerline adapter, powerline adapter to plug point, another plug point to the other adapter, and that adapter to another computer.

In this scenario, the Win 7 computers auto-configured themselves to a local network without Internet access (obviously) with the 169.254.xx.xx addressing scheme.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to know it works with computers, Im waiting for someone to confirm it with a media player instead of a PC on the other end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal /forum/post/19575727

This should work.

What I have tried is as below: Connect a computer to the powerline adapter, powerline adapter to plug point, another plug point to the other adapter, and that adapter to another computer.

In this scenario, the Win 7 computers auto-configured themselves to a local network without Internet access (obviously) with the 169.254.xx.xx addressing scheme.

·
Registered
13,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministerjee /forum/post/19577700

Glad to know it works with computers, Im waiting for someone to confirm it with a media player instead of a PC on the other end.

I have a pair of the Netgear AV200s and they will definitely do what you want. The reason being, the powerline adapters are auto-sensing and configure themselves to either uplink or downlink ports depending on what is connected to them. I can't speak to other brands, but I would assume most other AV200 units are auto-sensing these days.

The cheapest units I've seen that I would be confident in actually working are the ones from Monoprice.com.

Now as far as connection speed, that depends entirely on your house wiring. In my case they go between 2 circuits and across the phase in the box. This is kind of the worst case. I get about 50Mbps across them. This is fine for streaming DVD and TiVo HD/5.1 recordings from a NAS unit. It is not fine for streaming most high bitrate BluRays. Even though I have many titles with bitrates in the mid-20's Mbps for overall bitrate, they all have peak bitrates of 48Mbps and they all stutter when streamed across the PLA's. YMMV depending on the wiring, so you'll just have to try a pair out and see what you get.

·
Registered
13,347 Posts
I would think you could use either because the PLA is auto-sensing. I would go with straight CAT-5.

·
Registered
987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministerjee /forum/post/0

thanks now the question is do we need to connect those powerline adapter with cross over cable or regular cat5 cable would work in this case as there are no router involved.

Regular cat5 cables is all you need.

Bob Silver

Netgear

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi again

I bought couple of Netgear XET 1001 and tried those, i was able to connect with my PC without involving any router in between, I was able to stream pictures from my PC they work Okay but video lags way to much.making it almost impossible to watch.it lags for few seconds pauses skips then lags again. Any ideas to fix that? I also tried with a router just to test it and it did the same thing. could this be wiring?? house is only 3 years old.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a couple of Netgear (4 port XE104 model) PLAs and hooked one up with a router and the other with my WD TV player and my Toshiba HDTV. They work well compared to WiFi but I'm only getting 20-30 Mbps and not the 85 Mbps as advertised.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaruf /forum/post/19642227

They work well compared to WiFi but I'm only getting 20-30 Mbps and not the 85 Mbps as advertised.

Real world I think best is roughly divide by 4 or 5 the rated speed.
I get roughly 50Mb/s out of my Livewire (200Mb/s advertised).

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yeah, if you want powerline that can reliably be fast enough for even high bitrate BR you'd need one of the new 500mb units that are only out very recently... (and will likely net you 80-120 mb in real life.... versus the 20-50 mb the 200mb units give in real life)

·
Registered
781 Posts
make sure and check out smallnetbuilder for reviews and talk of filters that in SOME cases can greatly effect your speeds.

also there is talk of some super fast 500mb+ adapters in the works....I only hope they incorporate filters in the units and do not have to have them added later.

I know its the cost compared to only some people need one but come on...I would say a $1 more for everyone and every where not just if needed try and find one and then pay thru the nose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.