AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does a paint without primer allow more light, from the projector, to pass through then a paint with primer in it?

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Only if the paint is translucent or thin enough to let light through to a darker color beneath. It's easy to see because the paint that isn't reflecting as much light will be darker..since it's reflecting less light.

Primer is more about helping paint stick to a surface that would otherwise be difficult to paint (something either overly porous or very slick) and tinting primer to match your paint color allows it to also work like an extra coat of paint, so a coat of primer and two coats of paint can cover what might otherwise need primer and three coats.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,191 Posts
Paint w/Primer is really only a better class of paint that covers more easily.

Certain Primers are specifically made to effect coverage over problem areas such as Water stains, wall markings, etc. while others are intended to prepare raw surfaces by sealing them, or making them more easily allow paint to adhere.

The Paint/ Primers combos are really for over-painting existing painted surfaces.

If you are spraying on primer to prepare a overly slick surface, diluting it first with water and applying duster coats until you just manage to effect a even coverage works just as well as it would if the same Primer was rolled on more heavily. More so actually as the lessor amount on top of such a surface would lend less sheer weight and be less prone to any peeling.

Reading beyond your initial question, if your intending to apply primer onto a sheet of clear Plexi before adding coats of Silver Fire (or anything else ) and the rear of the Plexi is covered in Mylar to create a Mirror effect, it has been shown that doing so can produce a even distribution of the the light being reflected off the rear into the topmost painted surface. It also helps reduce the sheer number of coats needed to cover said 2nd surface Mirror, and lastly helps to prevent the chance of a predominant Hot Spot from the PJ's lamp from being obsered when the fewer number of top coats are added.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reading beyond your initial question, if your intending to apply primer onto a sheet of clear Plexi before adding coats of Silver Fire (or anything else ) and the rear of the Plexi is covered in Mylar to create a Mirror effect, it has been shown that doing so can produce a even distribution of the the light being reflected off the rear into the topmost painted surface. It also helps reduce the sheer number of coats needed to cover said 2nd surface Mirror, and lastly helps to prevent the chance of a predominant Hot Spot from the PJ's lamp from being obsered when the fewer number of top coats are added.
what kind of adhesive is safe to put on plexiglass to temporarily adhere it to something but can then, later on, be removed from the plexi without damaging the plexi? I was thinking maybe some DAP silicon( I have some of the DAP crystal clear sealant) or something like that which can easily be removed later on with some mineral spirits or acetone. Though about Hot glue gun but wasn't sure if the heat would damage the plexiglass. :confused:

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,191 Posts
What are you trying to attempt? To hang it flat on a surface to spray then remove it to mount elsewhere?

Anything you use that is strong enough to hold the material in a vertical position will probably be difficult to allow for a clean pull off.

If your talking about something to adhere Mylar to the Plexi with, Spot adherence using Hot Glue would be safest.

Cleaning the Plastic using mineral spirits or acetone s inadvisable. Both could cloud it up, dissolve the surface or make it brittle. Denatured Alcohol is OK.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are you trying to attempt? To hang it flat on a surface to spray then remove it to mount elsewhere?

Anything you use that is strong enough to hold the material in a vertical position will probably be difficult to allow for a clean pull off.

If your talking about something to adhere Mylar to the Plexi with, Spot adherence using Hot Glue would be safest.

Cleaning the Plastic using mineral spirits or acetone s inadvisable. Both could cloud it up, dissolve the surface or make it brittle. Denatured Alcohol is OK.
Okay, cool, thanks Mississippiman.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

MississippiMan...as stated a while, while, back, that on the side i like to tinker with laser pens. While messing around with my lasers, and some clear glass, a question came in my mind from something I observed. One thing I notice, when shooting a laser at a piece of clear glass, it does 2 things. It shines through the glass, projecting on what ever surface is behind that glass and.. the glass also reflects some of that beam back toward me.
The concept of Light fusion involves takeing a mirror, applying a top coat on the mirror thick enough to cover the projectors hot spot but thin enough for light to reflect off the mirror and reintroduce itself back into the top layer of your paint and sometimes resulting in a slight glow. Like the laser being reflected back to me from the glass, Wouldn't the glass on the mirror also reflect some of the projectors light back, thus allowing less light from your projector to penetrate to hit the silver on the back of the mirror thereby reducing the amount of overall light being reflecting back into the top coat??
I know that the glass absorbs some of the light but not sure how much of the actual light it reflects back and how that effects a Light Fusions screen overall reflective properties.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts