Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth waiting for the ATI YPbPr adapter kit for my Toshiba TN55X81

Television?

Or am I just as well off (or better?) building my own cable and using Powerstrip as described in much of the info on this site?

Furthermore, the ATI site specifically says their kit will be for YPbPr inputs. How would I know if my inputs (Toshiba ColorStream) are YPbPr or RGB?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
ATI has stated very clearly that any component output will not excede 480P. This is due to copyright issues and liscencing. The output would be superior to a progresive scan dvd player or the tv's de-intelacer but how much better is the question.....

no 1080i

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mooneyass
ATI has stated very clearly that any component output will not excede 480P. This is due to copyright issues and liscencing. The output would be superior to a progresive scan dvd player or the tv's de-intelacer but how much better is the question.....

no 1080i
Mooneyass,

That restriction to 480p is only for CSS encrypted DVD playback. It should provide component output for all your TV supported resolutions for the desktop, games, or any non-encrypted video.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From the ATI FAQ for the 8500 DV:

Q13: What modes will the component output support?

A13: The component output will support HDTV 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. For DVD and Macrovision protected material ATI will support 480i and 480p. The ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ 8500DV supports both Interlaced and progressive scan HDTV.

But either way, what's the answer to my question? Are you saying that I'm better off with a custom solution?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I neglected to specify for DVD, just kind of assumed it. I'm afraid of projecting any static graphics on my CRT so I never considered a desktop or games....

If you plan to use the HTPC for dvd I'd go with a keydigital or similar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.