AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In our living room, I have our TV, a media center extender, PS2 and 5 speakers and a sub

The extender will be connected to the TV using HDMI for video only.

The PS2 video connections would run to the TV as well.

My receiver is in a wiring closet about 30 feet away. The speakers will run to the living room from the receiver.

My questions is about the RCA connections for the Digital Coax, PS2 and sub.

My plan is to run 1 RG6 cable for the Digital Coax, 2 for the PS2 audio (RCA connections) and 1 for the sub and terminate the ends with an F Type connection and use an F Type/RCA adapter.

Would I see any benefit or increase in quality by terminating the ends with a compression RCA connection? or one of the F-Conn connectors
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=092-734

If I should go with the F-Conn connectors, will the Thomas & Betts SNS IT tool work with it?
http://mjsales.net/items.asp?FamilyI...D=39&Cat3ID=32

thanks.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I'm not familiar with the connectors you mention, but compression connectors with RCA adapters will work just fine.

But for SPDIF and sub-woofer (line level) signals so will soldered and well designed twist-on connectors. There is no reason to use F connectors.

SPDIF cable is specified at 75 Ohms, but does not require 75 Ohm termination.

Subwoofer cables are just line level audio. RG6/RG59 (copper and not copper over steel) will work fine, but is not required. Neither 75 Ohm cable nor 75 Ohm termination is required for line level analog audio.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It might be cheaper to purchase the cables premade by the time you figure in the cost of the coax, connectors, and crimper (if you go that route). You can get 35ft. CL2 (in wall rated) 75 ohm cables (Digital coax, composite video, and subwoofer if you want) for less than $10 from Monoprice (forum sponsor). The 35ft. stereo audio cable is less than $8.

Just a thought.

Laters,

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts