AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS and a few other components that I plan to run off a UPS. The Pioneer is 130w per channel and does 7.1 so in theory could draw 910w. What should I expect to actually draw? I'm only using it for 5.1 so can I disable the two other channels or do they use no power if nothing is plugged in? Also I'm in an apartment so I'm only listening at low to medium volumes.

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/0

I would never plug and amp device into a UPS. For that AVR to put out full power it is going to be drawing 1800 watts from the circuit by the way.

Same here, unless you have a really, really beefy UPS. As an example, Gravitom, the literature for my Denon 100WPC X 7 receiver states it consumes 5.6 amps. Of course, that's probably a max number that it will never hit. But I wouldn't hook it up to a UPS. At least not a UPS that I could afford.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Gravitom,

Your receiver will draw RMS power around 20-40 watts/ channel all day long..that's it; 110 watts/ch is in some Mozart piece for 1 second...not drawing more than 200-220 watts total!!!!!!!!

The standard 15 amp rated outlet in your house, is capable of 15 amps x 115 Vac phase = 1725 watts

your receiver converts the AC power to DC power inside you reciever w/ 75% effieciency....

bottomline you have plenty of power avail...........you will draw 2-5 amps of that 15 amps available

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitom /forum/post/0

How beefy of a UPS are we talking? I work in IT and sometimes get equipment that clients are getting rid of, including server UPS systems.

What are the "few" other components that you are thinking about putting on the UPS along with the AVR? Are we talking a TV and a subwoofer too? If it were me, I'd get a UPS that can match the output of the circuit. So like Vince says, 1725 watts or more if you are running everything off a 15-amp circuit now. But that's just what I'd do.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Why in would you even want to use an UPS for an AVR? It will do nothing for you and may even produce non-sine wave power (for those worried about clean power and noise). The purpose of an UPS is to allow continued use in the event of a brief power interruption or to allow for a graceful shutdown. Some projection lamps and back light lamps do need a cool down, but beyond that zip. With that exception the equipment in home audio and video is not harmed by power loss, or voltage sag.

If you look at the power draw in your AVR's manual or the backplate it will show the rated current draw. As already mentioned in actual use it won't get that high.

Categorically an UPS is a waste of cash unless you need to provide a graceful shutdown, avoid data losses, or have continuous availability. In fact for continuous availability computing and network centers usually have very high capacity UPS and backup generators.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm running these components

Receiver ???w

Xbox 360 160w

Scientific Atlanta cable box 26w

HTPC 250w

I have a Panasonic PT-AX100U projector but its on the opposite wall. I'd love to put a UPS on that to protect the bulb from abrupt shutdowns but power is coming from in the ceiling and I can't really put a UPS up there.

The UPS is primarily for my HTPC/File server. It hosts a terabyte of storage for all my other PCs and I remote into all the time from work so I like to have it protected from momentary loss of power. I already have it hooked up to a small UPS that is dying and needs to be replaced. Right now the server isn't a HTPC but I will throwing Vista Ultimate on it and relocating it to my AV rack. Since I'm upgrading I figured I'd get something that could handle all the components in the cabinet as well as mananagement and automatic PC shutdown capabilities. If the receiver is too much to handle, I guess I'll just leave it off and maybe I can score an uber UPS from work down the line.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
It will do nothing for you and may even produce non-sine wave power (for those worried about clean power and noise).

And even worse if it's not a true sine wave it may damage the power supply???? Some electronics get very unhappy when fed the squared off wave from some UPS. Computer power supply buffers this affect, I have no idea about a reciever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.