AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound dumb, but can you use the Mic that comes with the Onkyo 809 reciever (XT32 mic), to use with REW? I was just curious before going out and getting that meter from Radio Shack. I am building a sub and assume from all the reading that im going to want to EQ it after i get it installed. Im pretty clueless about the EQ'ing of a sub, but im reading up on it now.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
If wanting to save some bucks, it's probably ok from 20 to 300hz if not to picky, but if you do buy a mic, don't get the radio shack SPL meter. Get one of the new usb mics like the UMM-6 from parts express. I've been wanting to buy one from cross spectrum but keep resisting. That mic will do you quick well for subwoofer eq.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so then i guess it wont work, as the goal is most likely adding some boost below 20Hz.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Well again, depends how picky. If you want accurate measurements below 20hz, ya you'll at least need a UMM-6 or equivelent mic. The radio shack meter won't be good enough either. But if you aren't to concerned about accuracy, you could use the mic you have, use a winisd chart, and shoot from the hip. It's not like +/- 5db is all that noticeable below 20hz. And you'll be able to smooth out things where it is noticeable.

Any measurement below 20hz is tricky. Below 10hz becomes very hard. Eliminating the uncertainty of the mic goes a long ways in making the process better. Get the cross spectrum version of the mic to feel even better. I did that a couple years ago and it was like a sigh of relief knowing I had the right tool for the job. But I do more than eq subs with it, so depends how much fiddling you plan on doing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
would be just for subs. Im sure ill eventually get one, as i would like it to be accurate. Sucks because i probably wont get much other use out of it. Oh well, who knows.. maybe i will get lots of use out of it.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Maybe you could borrow or rent one from someone on the forum. I'd offer mine if you paid shipping, but I use it about once a week and I live in Canada, so it wouldn't work. But I'm sure someone has one collecting dust. Or buy one and then sell it slightly used. Might only loose $20 doing that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that makes sense. ill keep that in mind

1 - 7 of 7 Posts