AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should all of my A/V components including PJ be connected to the same circuit and surge protector? I ask because in order to do this my A/C power lead to the projector would have to run in the same conduit as my 30 foot DVI and Component. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have a separate dedicated circuit for the PJ, and two separate dedicated circuits for the audio equipment, all from the same side of the electrical panel. Each circuit has its own dedicated ground. This helps reduce interference from other electrical equipment in the home.

Some amps are prone to ground related humming. Sometimes this can be solved by having all the audio equipment on the same circuit, and at other times not.

On the video side there can be ground related problems due to the ground location of your cable companies ground. Folks who have this problem require an "isolation filter" (if I recall the terminology correctly). My PJ is the only device on its circuit and I have no video problems.

To avoid interference, it is recommended that power lines be run 12-18" away from data lines and that if they must cross, that they intersect at right angles. If you run power and data in the same conduit, you have a good chance of having video problems. It depends on just how well the insulation on your data cables works. I would not do this unless I had no choice.

Glenn

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
tubby,

Can you run a separate ground line to all of the outlets in your theater? Star grounding (communications ground), where all of the ground runs are the same length and go to a common point, is a very effective technique for eliminating ground loops.

William

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before finishing my basement I had an AV company come out to pre-wire for my projector and speakers. He told me that I didn't need to have a outlet in the ceiling, instead he ran 2" flexible conduit to where my components are going to be and said that the power and the component video cable could be run via the conduit.

Sounds like I was severely misled. What type of component cables should I look for to minimize the risk of interference? Since my ceiling is drywall and insulated with R30 it is likely going to be difficult to run a separate outlet for power.

-----

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
267 Posts
I recommend using separate circuits for:

- projector (due to high amp draw)

- amplifiers/receiver (ditto)

- other A/V components

- lights and outlets (not for A/V)

That would make 4 separate circuits with common ground for the first 3 circuits to reduce possibility of ground hum.

I do not think running power and low-voltage in the same conduit is a good idea. Other people who did this reported seeing sparklies in their picture or severely degraded video/audio. If you have to do this, you might have better luck using RG6 instead due to its better shielding technology.

Just my 2 cents. best of luck to you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.