AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 47 inch Vizio from Sam's club, but found this model of Samsung on Amazon for roughly the same price (no tax and free shipping). Would it be worth my time to return the vizio, and purchase the samsung? How does the LN46A530 compare to the slightly more expensive LN46A550?

·
Registered
2 Posts
go to the official samsung 46A530 thread. There is alot of info there. There is not alot of difference from the 550 to the 530 that I could tell except for price. I just bought the 46A530 and am very impressed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I am very interested in buying the Samsung LN46A530 from Amazon for $1399 with free shipping. I have been reading reviews for quit some time now and have not found many negative responses with this unit. I found this response for the 550 on cnetreviews.com and actually called Samsung and they explained that they have never heard of anything about the panel constructions being these specific names. Has anyone heard of this?? Also, is the 530's speaker set up better than the 550? Thats pretty much the only downfall to the 550 that I have found with the reviews. Also, are there only 2 HDMI's or is there a thrid on the side panel? Any thing will help. Thanks everyone!

Pulled from Cnet.com ----""Be very careful when buying one of the a550 LCDs. Samsung notoriously uses different manufacturers for its panels, resulting in extreme variations of quality. "S" Panels are great, made by Samsung, and they conveniently land into the hands of early adopters and reviewers. Other panels, "A" and "C", are quite inconsistent in terms of quality. Mine, an "A" panel, was horrible. The colors were not the least bit vivid, even after many attempts at calibration. Contrast was good, but only when viewing the LCD at dead center. When viewing the screen even slightly off-angle, the contrast worsened significantly, and the image itself washed out. I was extremely dissatisfied with this LCD, eventually exchanging it for a Panasonic 46PZ85U, which I ABSOLUTELY love.

You may be lucky and get an "S" panel, but be wary of this game that Samsung plays.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim70a /forum/post/14522596

Hello, I am very interested in buying the Samsung LN46A530 from Amazon for $1399 with free shipping. I have been reading reviews for quit some time now and have not found many negative responses with this unit. I found this response for the 550 on cnetreviews.com and actually called Samsung and they explained that they have never heard of anything about the panel constructions being these specific names. Has anyone heard of this?? Also, is the 530's speaker set up better than the 550? Thats pretty much the only downfall to the 550 that I have found with the reviews. Also, are there only 2 HDMI's or is there a thrid on the side panel? Any thing will help. Thanks everyone!

Pulled from Cnet.com ----""Be very careful when buying one of the a550 LCDs. Samsung notoriously uses different manufacturers for its panels, resulting in extreme variations of quality. "S" Panels are great, made by Samsung, and they conveniently land into the hands of early adopters and reviewers. Other panels, "A" and "C", are quite inconsistent in terms of quality. Mine, an "A" panel, was horrible. The colors were not the least bit vivid, even after many attempts at calibration. Contrast was good, but only when viewing the LCD at dead center. When viewing the screen even slightly off-angle, the contrast worsened significantly, and the image itself washed out. I was extremely dissatisfied with this LCD, eventually exchanging it for a Panasonic 46PZ85U, which I ABSOLUTELY love.

You may be lucky and get an "S" panel, but be wary of this game that Samsung plays.

Wow..I had no idea and I'm getting an A550 for the bedroom. Where on the panel can you tell if it's an S, A, or C panel?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim70a /forum/post/14522596

I have been reading reviews for quit some time now and have not found many negative responses with this unit. I found this response for the 550 on cnetreviews.com and actually called Samsung and they explained that they have never heard of anything about the panel constructions being these specific names. Has anyone heard of this?? Also, is the 530's speaker set up better than the 550? Thats pretty much the only downfall to the 550 that I have found with the reviews. Also, are there only 2 HDMI's or is there a thrid on the side panel? Any thing will help. Thanks everyone!

I been reading this also and my conclusion is its BS. What I've learned also cnet reads the AVS too and sometimes believes things like this also. They've changed one of there reveiws before from information here. Like lowering the score of the Aquos d62 for banding which they didn't see from the get go.

Maybe cnet if they read this can share the source where they got this information?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts