AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new TV and have set my sights on a large Samsung plasma. However, I am confused about all the different model numbers. 550, 590, 650... What is the newest (and best) Samsung plasma in the 58 - 63 inch range? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdharris /forum/post/16945176

I am in the market for a new TV and have set my sights on a large Samsung plasma. However, I am confused about all the different model numbers. 550, 590, 650... What is the newest (and best) Samsung plasma in the 58 - 63 inch range? Thanks.

There's not a simple answer because there are trade offs.

The top tier model is the 860 but it tops out at 58". It is super thin and has the highest level of anti-glare / contrast filtering of any of their models. And it has all the other features any of the other sets have. However, its speakers are much weaker than other models in the line and it has fewer inputs.

The 850 is virtually identical -- missing just one feature that can be turned on from the service menu.

The 650 is an extreme popular choice. It also tops out at 58 and has almost all the same features as the Series 8's. It is not as thin but still the same depth as most plasmas (only 2.9). And it can be had for much less. The anti-glare coating is slightly less than that of the Series 8's.

The 590 is the top tier choice (and one of only two options) for 63 so if you want the biggest this is it. It is almost the same as the 650, but is lacking the built-in Internet / Home Media Server feature. And it has better speakers than the 650.

The 550 is the other 63 model. It has a lesser anti-glare screen than the 590 (and two tiers down from the Series 8's), weaker speakers and is lacking a feature called Cinema Smooth which allows 1080p/24fps playback at 96Hz (supposedly smoother playback.

There are various other options too but those are probably the commonly referenced here in your size range.

·
Registered
463 Posts
and the 63 inch 550 when u shop it right can be had for a 1,000 less than the 590, and is a bargain and far better picture than any lcd

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdharris /forum/post/16946923

Thanks very much. Sounds like the 63" 590 may be my next TV. Best Buy had them on sale for $3199 until last week and I hope I can still find one for that price.

FYI, I got mine from BB for less than that when it wasn't on sale just by asking. PM me if you want the exact price.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdharris /forum/post/16945176

Have you read this thread?:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1144869

"Do ya feel lucky?"

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas /forum/post/16947447

Randy, what's that have to do with the OP's question?

If I was considering a Samsung I would sure want to know about this possible issue before I purchased. Even if it's not a wide spread problem I would want to know.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticmxman /forum/post/16947519

If I was considering a Samsung I would sure want to know about this possible issue before I purchased. Even if it's not a wide spread problem I would want to know.

I guess my assumption was that someone posting here and obviously doing research on a purchase would at least have spent a few seconds skimming the major posts on the front page that listed the brand or models they were looking at. Not only has the buzz topic rarely left the front page (or even the top half of the front page), but it is widely discussed in a vast majority of the Samsung-related topics. It’s kind of hard to miss. But perhaps you’re right and it is better not to assume...

These topics too often degenerate into wars between partisans of Samsung versus Panasonic. When a known Panasonic connoisseur (I use that term with respect) who doesn’t own a Samsung comes onto a topic only about Samsung that has until then remained neutral in conveying information – i.e. no “Samsung is the greatest” or “Samsung’s black levels are Kuru-like,” etc. – and has not mentioned Panasonic at all, to forward a link to a topic right on the front page already and add the sarcastic “Are you feeling lucky?” it just invites Samsung-inclined people to do likewise, posting here, or worse on Panasonic topics, all the links to the Panasonic problem topics, etc. It is very easy to point people to the topics about Panasonic’s not turning on or having screwed up color matrixes or allegedly permanent burn-in, etc. I haven’t noticed Randy going over to Pioneer topics to point people to the Pioneer buzz poll with similar results, so if the goal is public service wouldn’t he do the same there? Perhaps I just missed those posts.

Can’t we just keep some of these topics on topic and not incite frame wars?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I was aware of the buzz problem, but none of the sets I listened to at BB had a buzz and from the posts it appears that Samsung has cured the problem in the later built sets. If mine buzzes, I will take it back.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Just be aware that the buzz problem occurs at the viewing position and seems to radiate out in a very specific pattern. You might not hear it if you are putting an ear up to the set and listening for mechanical noise (of which there will be some).

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas /forum/post/16948489

I guess my assumption was that someone posting here and obviously doing research on a purchase would at least have spent a few seconds skimming the major posts on the front page that listed the brand or models they were looking at. Not only has the buzz topic rarely left the front page (or even the top half of the front page), but it is widely discussed in a vast majority of the Samsung-related topics. It's kind of hard to miss. But perhaps you're right and it is better not to assume...

These topics too often degenerate into wars between partisans of Samsung versus Panasonic. When a known Panasonic connoisseur (I use that term with respect) who doesn't own a Samsung comes onto a topic only about Samsung that has until then remained neutral in conveying information - i.e. no Samsung is the greatest or Samsung's black levels are Kuru-like, etc. - and has not mentioned Panasonic at all, to forward a link to a topic right on the front page already and add the sarcastic Are you feeling lucky? it just invites Samsung-inclined people to do likewise, posting here, or worse on Panasonic topics, all the links to the Panasonic problem topics, etc. It is very easy to point people to the topics about Panasonic's not turning on or having screwed up color matrixes or allegedly permanent burn-in, etc. I haven't noticed Randy going over to Pioneer topics to point people to the Pioneer buzz poll with results, so if the goal is public service wouldn't he do the same there? Perhaps I just missed those posts.

+1. Well put Citivas. My emphasis added in your quote.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Go for the B650. Many people, including myself, find it to be the best bang for your buck. B850/860 is it's in your budget. And honestly I wouldn't be scared of the potential buzz issue, that is why most stores have a 30-day return policy. No brand/model is completely without problems.

I've had my B650 for a couple of months now, and I'm 100% satisfied (and that's not an easy feat when it comes to technology). The few pro calibrated reviews of the B650 have been very very favorable.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdharris /forum/post/16948525

Yes, I was aware of the buzz problem, but none of the sets I listened to at BB had a buzz and from the posts it appears that Samsung has cured the problem in the later built sets. If mine buzzes, I will take it back.

cdharris, the buzz issue is over-stated here because it's based on complaints here and doesn't encompass most and certainly not all sets sold.

As you experienced, it is unlikely you will get a set with any noticable or significant buzz.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdharris /forum/post/16948525

Good. Just wanted to be sure that you are doing your research. A lot of great choices and deals out there and any brand you buy could a have problem, another reason to keep the return policy factored into your choice. Samsung certainly produces some fine plasmas, good luck with your hunt!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts