AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made the jump to HDTV and purchased a Panasonic PT-50LC13 LCD TV and the Samsung SIR-T151 HDTV Receiver. When viewing a regular DTV broadcast, the picture does not fill the entire 16:9 screen horizontally. I have the T151 setup for 16:9 screen and in "full" mode it says it should fill. HDTV broadcasts, of course, fill the screen beautifully, but even then the commercials revert to 4:3 mode. Is this normal? Do I have something set wrong? Thanks for any input.

Rob

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
What you are seeing is most likely normal, depending on how your local channels are broadcasting.

In my city, I have stations that send out 1080i all the time, even when they are only sending out upconverted SD stuff. That may be why you are seeing a 4:3 image in a 16:9 frame, and can't change the aspect ratio.

On my TV, when it gets a 1080i signal, it locks into full mode. I think the 151 will allow a zoom of that content, but it tends to chop way to much image.

As you observed, when you get true HD 1080i stuff, it fills the screen perfectly.

I also have some locals that do not do HD yet. They send out everything in a 4:3 frame, which the 151 puts in a 16:9 frame (grey bars left and right). Those SD broadcasts can be rescaled in the 151 with its aspect ration control.

BGL

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anonuser3
.... HDTV broadcasts, of course, fill the screen beautifully, but even then the commercials revert to 4:3 mode. Is this normal?
Yes, this is normal.

4:3 programming (e.g. commercials) upconverted to HD is actually sent as a 16:9 image, with sidebars inserted by the network or local station to fill out the 16:9 frame. The sidebars are actually part of the image, and your equipment is displaying everything correctly.

·
2,432 Posts
Let me add another question about this and all of the Sammy HD tuners. Do they have Faroudja's DCDiâ„¢ video processing technology.

Thanks,

Barry

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you set the Sammy to 4x3 instead of 16x9, even though you have a wide screen TV, you will be able to scale 720p and 1080i output.

-Skip

·
2,432 Posts
Thanks everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.