Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Question I am hoping you can help me on. I have a Direct TV Sat A-50 that I want to use with my Sony XBR 450 and of course I want HDTV. I know I need a Set Top Box but can I use the A-50 with 24" oval dish and run it through any set top box such as a sony or panasonic or do I need to use a whole new system. I love the menu and speed the way it is and just want to be able to pass the signal to the Set top box and have it do the rest and not use the satellite features.

Thanks for any help

JJ

·
Registered
420 Posts
Not sure you can do that, but you can always try. Not a total loss though, since the 24" dish can support up to 4 STB's, both HD and non. So unless every room in your house has an HD-ready set, you can still use your non-HD STB's for a bedroom or something.

[This message has been edited by RSongco (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. Couldn't I just use s receiver like the Toshiba DST3000 and "upconvert" the signal or would this be a big difference from if I used the box directly.

Thanks again,

JJ

·
Registered
801 Posts
You're going to need a new receiver with an HD output, other receivers will not deliver HD.

The new dish with the extra LNB will give you access to the satellite constellation that offers HD, but your receiver won't be able to give the signal tones to the switch that selects the proper LNB output, and further more, wouldn't be able to decode the HD signal.

Receivers offering the HD output run around $600 (list) at this time. The most used receiver has been the RCA DTC-100, which also gives you the ability to receive terrestrial (over the air) HDTV.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ALOT! 2 more questions and then I am done!

1) Is over the air the same as "off air"

2) Is an upconverted signal as nice as one that is already in the format.

Thanks again,

JJ

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
1) Yes.

2) No, upconverted program material will not look as good as native HDTV.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.