AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the screen on the Samsung is similar to the screen on a Phospor based RPTV. I had a 47 inch Panny RPTV and it didnt have a screen protector. The projection screen had ridges that go all the way down. The manual mentioned to clean gently up to down to avoid damaging these ridges. But looking at my Samsung, it doesnt appear to have that type of screen on the inside (not talking about the plastic protection screen. I would like to know because I am contemplating cleaning some dirt off the back of the screen (using the access port above the component inputs. I called Samsung and they say it will be 2 weeks before they can get a Tech to me. I read about someone cleaning the TV screen this way. Looking through the opening, I believe I can rig something up with a small stick (pencil or somthing else non sharp) and my microfiber clothe tied to the end. However, if this thing is groove based (the screen) I would be scared of damaging it. It will be impossible to control the direction of the nudging (although I know I can do it with minimal pressure) to remove the dirt (I know its dirt because you can see it illuminated on the back of the screen when the TV is on). Any knowledge would be appreciated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is the dirt real bad? I'd wait for the tech to do it - though one has no guarantee that the tech will do it right either! :(

You could try using a vacumm hose stiffened with a stick to suck the dirt off the screen. At least that way the dirt won't fall on the lens.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Unless the dirt is very minor, wait for the tech. If he screws it up you're covered by the warranty.

If you decide to DIY...

1. Have someone shine a flashlight at the front of the screen from various angles while you look through the access port. You may be able to tell more about the screen this way.

2. Shine a flashlight through the access port yourself while looking at the screen. Same idea.

3. If you remove the screen you could see it more closely and clean it more gently. Pull the speaker grille out slightly at the bottom, then slide it down. Then remove all the screws from the back of the bezel. I haven't done this, but it looked pretty easy when I skimmed over that page in the service manual.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The compressed air would not work because the access panel is too small to get it inside (and I dont think any of the nozzles they provide would be long enough). I cut a coat hanger apart and made a straight rod. I then wrapped 2 microfiber clothes around it to prevent the metal from contacting anything inside the TV (I made sure to pad the back of the fiber clothe with toliet paper so that the area touching the screen was soft and round-- it had the toilet paper tied inside to provide shape and softness) I then gently dabbe the clothe on the back of the screen a few times. It fell off after a few gentle nudges. I couldnt avoid slightly rubbing left to right. However, I am not noticing any screen artifacts or damage while the TV is in use. There are 3 more specs of dust but they are dot sized and way to the other side of the set. I might be able to get them with my "rig" but it would require going in at an angle and forcing me to work blind. And I am just not brave enough for that LOL. I will let the tech in 2 weeks clean that part.

P.S. I did notice that the glass lense at the bottom of the TV was filthy. It had dust all over it. I realize that dust will accumulate over time but I have only had the set for 4 days. Anyone else notice this? Could the fan in the back be pulling the dirt into the lense? We live in the country so their is more dust than usual, but I refuse to believe all that got in there in 4 days (although their is not image degradation that I can see).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.