AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my Hughes E1 Directv receiver on ebay and I don't want to misrepresent anything. Here is what's happened to date:

I have previously subscribed this unit and then called Directv to have it removed from my account since I bought a DTIVO in its place. Is this the same as having it deactivated?

I have never had the receiver call in since I had it removed and when I just plugged it in, it still gets all the channels. If I have it call in, will the card be deactivated or should it have been deactivated by a signal from the satellite?

Should I list this card as a "Valid" HU card? I see this term used on ebay but I don't exactly know what it implies.

Will the buyer of this unit have to buy a new card to use the receiver?

Or are people buying these things just to get a card they can play with?

Thanks.

HTM

·
Registered
72 Posts
Once you've de-activated your account, someone who purchased your receiver would have to buy a new card from Direct TV for $89 to use that same receiver; they could not activate your old card in their name. Since there are so many free or $49 or less offers available now, the only reason your system is valuable is for the card. And the value of that depends on if you're selling an "h" or "hu" card. I don't participate in that hobby so I don't know. I'm sure if you search eBay, you can find out.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HomeTheatreMaven
I am selling my Hughes E1 Directv receiver on ebay and I don't want to misrepresent anything. Here is what's happened to date:

I have previously subscribed this unit and then called Directv to have it removed from my account since I bought a DTIVO in its place. Is this the same as having it deactivated?
Yes.

Quote:
I have never had the receiver call in since I had it removed and when I just plugged it in, it still gets all the channels. If I have it call in, will the card be deactivated or should it have been deactivated by a signal from the satellite?

The same thing happened with a used receiver I bought from a forum member. Though I had all his prior programming tiers upon hooking the box up, he was not responsible if I had attempted to order PPVs prior to reactivating the receiver in my own name. It is DirecTV's responsibility to assign the previous owner's card's serial number to a "dead" status and deauthorize its use in the data stream. The fact that we both had similar experiences with a deactivated account is merely testimony to DirecTV's inefficiencies. Translation? Someone's asleep at the wheel - either in the way the subscriber accounts server is programmed, or just entering the information into it.

Quote:
Should I list this card as a "Valid" HU card? I see this term used on ebay but I don't exactly know what it implies.
Yeah, this one could get my butt suspended, but, here goes. "Valid Access Card" is a hacker term that refers to a card that has not been buggered by a DirecTV anti-piracy electronic counter measure (ECM) data stream hit. A card with that designation on eBay is an open "advertisement" that the card, though unsubscribable, can still be modified for illegal reception of DirecTV's signal. The term has nothing to do with whether the card has been properly deactivated when the account was closed. Both H and HU cards are currently being hacked, so your card would have value for pirates. The peripheral question you're faced with is whether you're comfortable with the notion that now that you're aware of what type of buyer would be most likely interested in "VAC", whether you would still wish to list "VAC" in your auction description. It's a dilemma since mentioning "VAC" definitely enhances your receiver's value. However, as long as you're including the married receiver with the card, you're doing nothing illegal, yourself.

Quote:
Will the buyer of this unit have to buy a new card to use the receiver?
keyzersoce's information about the $89.00 replacement card fee for a new owner of a used receiver is correct insofar as it goes. However, DirecTV has in the past allowed a $50.00 credit upon return of the original card with a pre-paid mailer supplied with the new FedEx'd card. A $39.00 net replacement expense is a bit more palatable, and presumably is still their policy. Some people, ahem, and I modestly include myself, have been able to persuade them to waive the $39.00 fee as a subscriber retention gesture. (But, now that they've agreed to a merger with Dish Network, that ploy may no longer work.) The days of the cheap $49.00 Wally World, K-mart, etc. systems are history, (They're up to $79.00, now.) so your old receiver may have value for a new or additonal receiver activation.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
 I bought a used DIRECTV System from a friend. What should I do to get the system installed and activate programming?

The net cost to the new purchaser of your receiver and card would be $10 with trade of the old card.

I bought a used DIRECTV System from a friend. What should I do to get the system installed and activate programming?

The person who gives up the DIRECTV System should call DIRECTV to de-activate the DIRECTV System access card. This is for the original owner's protection.

The new owner should call 1-800-DIRECTV to order a new access card. We charge the new owner $39 for the new access card, but we issue a $29 credit if the new owner returns the old access card and the card is in good condition. So, after the credit, the new owner has only paid $10 for the new card. We send the new card via Federal Express, along with a postage-paid envelope to make returning the old card easy.

The new owner can install the equipment personally or call a professional installer for help. The installation manual and owner's manual -- and any other information that came with the equipment -- can be especially helpful in this process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.