Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have an Xbr 450 and notice that it accepts 1080i and 480P inputs. I have yet to get a Set Top Box but was going to go with the Sony until I saw that it did not output in 480P only 1080i and 480i. Would I ever want to watch a broadcast in 480p or would I use 1080i anyway?

Also what is the resolution of regualar satellite programming and is it the same as SDTV?

Thanks

JJ

·
Registered
26 Posts
I often experiment between 480p and 1080i with my Panny TUHDS20 and Mitsu VS60805 RPTV. The Mits doubles any 480i input to 480p and it doesn't look as good as when I directly input 480p from the STB or DVD player, which automatically shuts off the internal doubler. With respect to 480p vs. 1080i, other things to consider include: do you want to watch the show in widescreen (1080i), is the show transmitted on an OTA DTV channel in upconverted resolution, do you like to watch a 1080i in a zoomed mode to fill the screen, are you going to use a TIVO time shift and record (must be 480i), etc... I (and my wife) personally like to watch non-DTV channels in full 480p, all DTV channels in 1080i non-zoomed, and when I use a TIVO, I give up resolution for the ability to time shift and let the TV double the 480i. Yea, TIVO doubled 480i looks bad, but, once you time shift, it is hard to go back. Its a feature trade off.

I use DirecTV, but I can't answer your question about sat resolution.

LeeG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.