AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are hopefully going to be buying a set of speakers soon, and are probably looking to get a set of Paradigms (Titans for the fronts, CC-170 for the center, ADP-170s for the surrounds, and PDR-12 for the sub...basically their System Three recommended setup).

My question is about the surrounds. Due to trying to fit a large computer desk and the couch/home theater stuff into the same living room, our TV is in a corner, and the couch is sort of diagonal in the middle of the room. There is actually a 3-D Home Architect image of the room at http://www.thefruitbowl.org/images/misc/livingroom.jpg . Our friend has suggested that we could mount the surrounds in the corners of the room (in the picture, over the desk and over the recliner) and use a sound meter to balance it properly, or we could mount them on the ceiling above and behind the couch.

Which setup would be a better placement...up on the ceiling near the couch, or on the sides but relatively far from the couch?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Miranda,

I think the ceiling, perhaps angled downward (if possible), might be best. According to your image, if you put the speakers on the walls, there's not going to be any way to guarantee equidistant speakers from the main viewing spot (the couch) in the room. This placement does leave out the person sitting in the chair, however. If you want to include the person in the chair, then one speaker in the corner above the desk and one speaker on the other side of the room, nearest an equidistant location from the center of the couch wouldn't be bad.

You can mess around with levels and time delays for the rear surrounds, but sometimes this just doesn't sound good. I had two surrounds that were at different locations, and I adjusted the levels and delay, but it sounds better now that I have the two speakers equidistant from my sitting location (still not high enough, but one thing at a time).

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hello laris, nice pics...

If your receiver can program time delay for each speaker, the corners would not be a problem and you could go with the solution that satisfies your aesthetic needs as well. If not, the ceiling hang will provide a more balanced soundfield. There have been a couple of posts in the last 2-3 months on ceiling mounts, with specific suggestions on brackets and other hw tips you would certainly find useful if you decide to pursue this.

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Miranda:

How about trying another furniture layout?

This could give you a more conventional HT arrangement.

Just a thought.

Larry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, it would be nice to rearrange it like that, but where the dining room table is now, that wall has a door and an open window/counter between the kitchen and a hanging chandelier over the table and a builtin china cabinet in the corner...so for better or worse, that's the dining area. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.