AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question. I just wired my house for my surround sound speakers using Monoprice 12AWG CL2 wire.

I set it up with the wall plates using banana plugs from the speakers to the wall.

Should I use the same wire from the wall to the receiver? If so I need to order some more as I used all of the 100ft I ordered lol.

I have 14AWG wire I was using before. Is it ok to mix the two or should I keep it all the same gauge?

·
Registered
733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca_ghost /forum/post/12921375

Question. I just wired my house for my surround sound speakers using Monoprice 12AWG CL2 wire.

I set it up with the wall plates using banana plugs from the speakers to the wall.

Should I use the same wire from the wall to the receiver? If so I need to order some more as I used all of the 100ft I ordered lol.

I have 14AWG wire I was using before. Is it ok to mix the two or should I keep it all the same gauge?

From 12 to 14 should not pose any difference in signal. Well...perhaps with measuring equipment but to the average ear...none. I have Bluejeans 10ga through ceiling to surrounds. Coming out of wall plate with ban plgz using 14ga. to pwr amp. It is usually recommended to use 12 or higher for 50ft runs. My longest run is approx 27ft. and I really did not need 10 ga but the price diff was little so I sprung for the 'fatter' stuff.

That 12ga from mono is a great wire/price. Why not just get more...keep it all the same...save money. You will be just fine either way but buy the 12ga if for nothing else but piece of mind.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts