Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the techies!!!

If your looking for new speakers and your advised to get a receiver rated to 25w to 100w. Would there be an issue if your receiver was rated at 200w per channel? What issues, if any can happen? Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my issue.

I have a choice of speakers, either Mirage Omnisats or B&W LM1's and a receiver rated at 200w per channel. I was wondering if 200w drives the speakers too hard. I am leaning toward the B&W's as they sound bright and are less expensive then the Mirage speakers. Thanks!

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
No, as stated the wattage rating attempts (though often grossly inaccurately and overrated) to describe the power output capability of the amplifier. To little power capability of an amp will cause clipping and can damage your tweeters.

IT is far LESS likely to damage speakers with an overpowerful amp, and would only happen if you turn the volume up very loud. However, this is far less likely than underpowering your speakers, so I wouldn't worry about it in the least.

·
Registered
185 Posts
the b&w are actually MORE bright than the Mirage's... didnt expect that.

the LM's are a great line, btw.. the nearby HiFi shop has a demo room w/ a 5.1 setup using the LM line, and i was very impressed when watching Pearl Harbor.

and like it was said, you're safe.. just do not play the volume at max (even though if you did, you'd probably damage your own ears in the process).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.