AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dedicated HT room built in the basement. It was an afterthought and is not sonically perfect, but it does the job. The carpet is on padding, of course, which is RIGHT upon the concrete foundation floor.

Should I use spikes for floorstanding speakers or speaker stands for smaller (or raised) speakers?

Or should I just let the speakers rest on the ground.

I am actually happy to cut out any part of the carpet necessary if that is what would be suggested (although I am happy to do so, I would rather not).

I don't have spikes to test with so I am wondering if I just go get some or leave them standing on the carpet as is...

Thanks for your help all!

Shawn

·
Registered
469 Posts
Some speakers, some subwoofers come with floor spikes that screw into the bottom of the cabinet. You can also buy spikes by themselves. The purpose of the spikes is to decouple the speakers from the floor. You may or may not need them. You can try them with your speakers and see if they meet with your approval. They should have more effect on the low frequencies. How well they work, depends upon what speakers or sub you are using them with.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Spikes on concrete? Naw, you don't need 'em.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.