AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my receiver, I have the 3 front speakers set to small, and crossover set to 8o hz. The 3 speakers are rated down to 49 hz.

1) The sub's crossover adjusts from 50 hz. to 200 hz. Where should I set it?

2) In the receiver's sub output setting, should I choose "LFE" or "LFE + MAIN" ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Have your sub X-over set to LFE or all the way to its max then let your avr do the rest (your mains set to 80Hz and small is a good start). Use LFE, not LFE+main.

Reactions: leecreek

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
What sub do you have? If it’s a monolith thx, you might want to experiment with the crossover setting. I seem to recall when testing with REW some odd drop off in freq response if I set it a certain way. Can’t recall the details now though.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Have your sub X-over set to LFE or all the way to its max then let your avr do the rest (your mains set to 80Hz and small is a good start). Use LFE, not LFE+main.
Thanks. What is the difference between the LFE setting and the LFE + MAIN setting ? The manual is very confusing.

It's a 8" Sony sub, SA-WM250, in our family room.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Thanks. What is the difference between the LFE setting and the LFE + MAIN setting ? The manual is very vague.

It's a 8" Sony sub, SA-WM250, in our family room.
The "LFE only" sends all the bass below the Mains X-over setting to the sub(s) as the (.1 channel) where the LFE+Main setting will also send bass frequencies from the mains to the sub, but also run mains "full Band". The consensus is in most cases the result is better using just the LFE setting especially when mains are of the bookshelf type.

Edit

Its been so long since i've looked at the LFE+Main i'm now thinking that setting may leave the mains in full band which would void a X-Over setting,,, i'll have to go double check.

So even after setting LFE+Main it left my mains X-Over at 80Hz (i thought it may go to full band by default but didn't,,, maybe that would only happen if mains were set to large) so it looks like i also need to refresh my memory as i know more bass is sent to the sub with the LFE+ Mains.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
After a quick look,,,,, the LFE (.1 channel) is designated to the sub. The LFE+MAIN directs the bass from the mains to the sub at the set X-Over point while running mains (only) at full band.

Edit

Adjusted my post ^^ as my original information was incorrect.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I'm more confused. :)

Are you recommending I use the "LFE" setting in receiver ? And keep speakers set to small, and sub setting all the way up to 200 hz. ?

I corrected what I said earlier. The sub adjusts from 50 to 200 hz.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Now I'm more confused. :)

Are you recommending I use the "LFE" setting in receiver ? And keep speakers set to small, and sub setting all the way up to 200 hz. ?

I corrected what I said earlier. The sub adjusts from 50 to 200 hz.
Yes Jim,,, turn the filter nob"on the back of your sub" to the max setting (turn the dial all the way clockwise) which also on some subs will be labeled "LFE". If your max setting is 200 and has no LFE setting then yes do that. Keep speakers set to small. Also (in your avr settings) set bass to just LFE, not LFE+MAINS. 80Hz crossover on L&R mains/center.

I'm assuming you have already run room correction? If not run it but after you will "again" need to manually set your mains and center crossovers as room correction often sets them to low in my experience. I use audyssey in my avr. Hope that helps.:)

I'm off to bed but if you have any more questions i will answer you in the morning. Please take note!! and right it down if you need to (if you rerun room correction) what it sets your mains and center crossovers at BEFORE you make any manual adjustments, it's not recommended to manually set them lower than what room correction set them at, but it's ok to set them higher. I dont know what speakers you have so it's guess work for me to assume roughly what the results will be.

·
Registered
16,833 Posts
After a quick look,,,,, the LFE (.1 channel) is designated to the sub. The LFE+MAIN directs the bass from all the other channels to the sub(s) as well as the .1 channel while still keeping the X-Over settings in the mains and other channels. This is where many feel the bass can become muddy, and just not sound a good or clean. Now setting your mains/other speakers to "large" will then remove the X-over settings and change to "full Band".

Hopefully i have that right lol.
@Jim McC

The LFE+Main setting runs the front speakers (but not the center) as LARGE (full-range) but also sends front channel bass below the front channel xover setting to the sub. So it reproduces front L/R channel bass below the xover setting at both the front channel speakers and the sub. In other words, the LFE+Main setting sends to the sub exactly what it would send there were the front channels set to SMALL, yet still sends the front channel speakers a full-range signal. The LFE+Main setting doesn't apply to any other channels besides the front L/R.

As recommended, turn your sub's crossover up as high as possible if it doesn't have a dedicated LFE input or LFE setting. Your AVR is what will be doing the crossing over. Run your speakers as SMALL with the oft recommended 80Hz crossover setting in the AVR and use the LFE setting (not LFE+Main).

·
Banned
361 Posts
Thanks. I got it now. This old receiver doesn't have room correction.

You need to know what the LFE + Main setting is referencing to.

Is it under "Subwoofer" mode or speakers mode?

As subwoofer mode it means, if the sw is stricly used as LFE channel, or if it is used as sub extension for the other speakers.

Setting the sw to LFE and setting the main speakers to small means that all bass except in the lfe channel will be highpassed at the xover frequency and is lost.
A playback without bass is not what you want I guess... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
@Jim McC

The LFE+Main setting runs the front speakers (but not the center) as LARGE (full-range) but also sends front channel bass below the front channel xover setting to the sub. So it reproduces front L/R channel bass below the xover setting at both the front channel speakers and the sub. In other words, the LFE+Main setting sends to the sub exactly what it would send there were the front channels set to SMALL, yet still sends the front channel speakers a full-range signal. The LFE+Main setting doesn't apply to any other channels besides the front L/R.

As recommended, turn your sub's crossover up as high as possible if it doesn't have a dedicated LFE input or LFE setting. Your AVR is what will be doing the crossing over. Run your speakers as SMALL with the oft recommended 80Hz crossover setting in the AVR and use the LFE setting (not LFE+Main).
Geez my SR8012 "bass" manual page doesnt say anything other than all other channel's bass is sent to the sub, good god. What you have described is more what i remember, thank you as the online manual page didn't say anything near that!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Thanks. I got it now. This old receiver doesn't have room correction.
Not having room correction,,, i'm assuming then there is no manual adjustment for distance? If there is,,,,, grab a tape measure and set each speakers distance from your main listening position (this will set the proper delay of information from each channel to your MLP). Often people will play with the sub distance as in some cases the "actual" distance setting isn't optimal, but don't be to concerned about it, let your ears tell you.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You need to know what the LFE + Main setting is referencing to.

Is it under "Subwoofer" mode or speakers mode?

As subwoofer mode it means, if the sw is stricly used as LFE channel, or if it is used as sub extension for the other speakers.

Setting the sw to LFE and setting the main speakers to small means that all bass except in the lfe channel will be highpassed at the xover frequency and is lost.
A playback without bass is not what you want I guess... :rolleyes:
The settings for LFE and LFE+MAIN in the receiver is under "Subwoofer output". The receiver is the JVC RX-7030. I set the speaker levels with a calibration disc and decibel meter.

I set the sub all the way to 200 hz, used the LFE setting, set front speakers to small, and crossover to 80 hz.

I hope that is correct.

·
Banned
361 Posts
The settings for LFE and LFE+MAIN in the receiver is under "Subwoofer output". The receiver is the JVC RX-7030. I set the speaker levels with a calibration disc and decibel meter.

Be careful when using a SPL meter. If it's A-weighted it's not suited to measure SPL of subwoofers.

I set the sub all the way to 200 hz, used the LFE setting, set front speakers to small, and crossover to 80 hz.

I hope that is correct.
Do you get the full spectrum (bass) when playing a stereo mix in stereo and with Dolby Surround mode, too? If that's the case the bass management seems to be set up correctly.
Do you hear any difference (ear at the sub) between LFE versus LFE+main setting?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts