AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main speakers are B&W 603 s3 which are full range floorstanding speakers. I have my AV receiver crossover set at 60hz, which is the lowest and means that anything about 60Hz is sent to the main speakers, and anything below that is sent to the subwoofer. My question is, do I also need to set built in crossover on the back of the subwoofer? What should I set that to? Or should I just have it off?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
You only want to use 1 Xover. So if you can bypass the sub's Xover, do that. If you can't bypass, set the Xover frequency as high as possible on the sub.

I'm not real familiar with your 603s but I doubt that they're truly full range - and hence you should be running these as small as you have implied.

Ed

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the same speakers and had my crossover @ 60hz. Recently I read that as a rule of thumb you should have the x-over set to double the lowest frequency. If I recall the 603 will go down to 44hz. After upgrading my sub I changed my x-over to 80 (which seems to be the standard) and puts less strain on the AVR. I am happy with the sound I get.

Norm

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
you guys have comfirmed what i have my 603s3's set at which is also at 60hz and run them as small.

Quick question though i can set my sub via my reciever,cant remember where i have it right now but should it also be set at 60hz?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 /forum/post/0

you guys have comfirmed what i have my 603s3's set at which is also at 60hz and run them as small.

Quick question though i can set my sub via my reciever,cant remember where i have it right now but should it also be set at 60hz?

If you can set the sub low-pass separately then that implies that you have a receiver that allows different high-pass for different channels. If all are set to 60 Hz then the sub should also be 60 Hz. But if you have different high-pass for different channels then you have a problem and there is no "correct" lowpass for your sub.

Ed

·
Registered
2,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb /forum/post/0

If you can set the sub low-pass separately then that implies that you have a receiver that allows different high-pass for different channels. If all are set to 60 Hz then the sub should also be 60 Hz. But if you have different high-pass for different channels then you have a problem and there is no "correct" lowpass for your sub.

Ed

I appreciate the response.I comfirmed that my sub is set to 60hz like my mains so i quess i'm alright then.again thanks

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 /forum/post/0

I appreciate the response.I comfirmed that my sub is set to 60hz like my mains so i quess i'm alright then.again thanks

Do you mean that all your speakers are set to 60 Hz assuming that you have more that just front L&R?

Ed

·
Registered
2,912 Posts

Quote:

Do you mean that all your speakers are set to 60 Hz assuming that you have more that just front L&R?

Ed

actually no.My center (lcr600)and surrounds(def.tech. promonitor 100's) are set to 80hz.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts

Quote:

Ed

If you have a receiver that has independant crossover settings for each speaker group, there wil be no adjustable "subwoofer" filter. There typically will be an adjustable LFE filter.

In my system, I set the m aisn to large, the center to 80Hz, the surrounds to 100 Hz, and the LFE high cut filter (AKA Low Pass Filter) to 120 Hz.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass /forum/post/0

If you have a receiver that has independant crossover settings for each speaker group, there wil be no adjustable "subwoofer" filter. There typically will be an adjustable LFE filter.

That would depend on exactly how such a BM system works. I know that this subject has been beaten to death on these forums and I don't want to start another round. But I don't remember any reliable conclusions. And of course different brands can have different schemes.

Ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.