AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read if your sub is positioned properly and configured properly, you shouldn't be able to tell where the bass is coming from

I've recently upgraded to a fairly cheapie sub to a SVS PB2000 which i love

Now this sub really does move the air around and i feel that i am feeling more where the bass is coming from purely from the air blasts from this more powerful sub

so doesn't a more powerful sub make it more obviously where the bass is coming from ?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
so doesn't a more powerful sub make it more obviously where the bass is coming from
It does when you have it too loud compared to the mains, and when you have a really good sub that's easy to realize. There are three reasons why a sub is easily directionally locatable: It's crossed over too high, it's too loud, it has very high harmonic distortion.

Reactions: oneeyeblind

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
Or if it is causing things near it to vibrate.
Pictures, Windows. Sheet metal is really bad for this: popcorn makers, fireplaces, fridges etc etc...

Also if the delay isn't compensated for it can cause timing and phase issues.

Also the mind can play tricks on you, if it knows where it is it tends to interpret it as such. (If your wife blindfolded you and moved the sub without telling you, your mind would probably still think that it had not moved.) Placebo effect.

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
As far as air goes... this is exactly why I hate non-sealed/IB subs (i.e. ported, horned)

Which is ironic because I'm currently building a horned sub, it might be a failed project in that regard. I hope I can redirect the air into the corner of the room and hope that it won't be audible or turbulent...

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
As far as air goes... this is exactly why I hate non-sealed/IB subs (i.e. ported, horned)

Which is ironic because I'm currently building a horned sub, it might be a failed project in that regard. I hope I can redirect the air into the corner of the room and hope that it won't be audible or turbulent...
Just build a couple and and place the as L/R front subs. You will feel the gushes of air but will not know where it is from. I love the gushes of air moving thru the room after an explosion. Kinda like being caught up in the action, lol.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts