AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 47 inch WS RPTV for my movie watching. However, so few games now support WS and I hate playing my games in "stretch" mode. Also, by the time you lower contrast, etc. to avoid burn-in, the picture looks like crap. I am in the process of buying a 36 inch Tube TV for our video gaming needs (as well as Kid TV when I want to watch a movie). I am almost sold on the Panasonic CT-36HX41-- last years model. I can get it with free delivery from CC for 1225.00. My only concern is the lack of a DVI input. I know the newer consoles are probably only a year or 2 off. Does anyone think the XBOX 2 or PS3 or whatever will require a DVI port to get HD quality gaming? Has anyone read a review of this TV and think it would be a good TV for the next 2 or 3 years for gaming? Any info or opinions are welcome.

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Since DVI is a fairly new technology, I doubt any console will "require" them. You might find that the newer consoles maybe will sell a DVI cable to connect your console to a TV, but DVI won't be a requirement....just an option. The same way that component is an option on today's console. Chances are the next gen of consoles will come with composite cables as they do today since that almost guarantees that a good chunk of the population who buy game consoles will be able to connect it to their TV right out of the box. Any more advanced connections like component or DVI would be sold separately.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
You should probably check in the direct view forum for info on that particular TV. As for the future - the industry has been extremely forgiving regarding backward compatibility. You can still get RF hookups for the one guy who doesn't have AV inputs. I suspect you will have component input for HD for a long, long time.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I suspect you will have component input for HD for a long, long time.

Agreed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may be wrong, but 720p is designed for Widescreen source material. Im getting this TV exclusively for 4x3 material. I don't want to play a game in a letterbox. Thanks for the advice though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Douglass MCC... You are correct that 720p is widescreen. My reason for posting is that some believe that 720p will be used quite a bit in new upcoming games. For xbox, it is rumored that Soul Caliber 2, True Crime, Matrix, Project Gotham 2 and Halo 2 will be in 720p. Since you were asking about the future, it may be important to consider 720p. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You will also be seeing more and more games in widescreen 16:9 format. In some games, it makes a big difference. When I play NFL2K3 in widescreen, I can see more of the field at once than if I was playing on a 4:3 TV. In Dead or Alive Volleyball, I can see the entire court at once, rather than half the court as in a 4:3 TV.

Personally I think that a 16:9 TV is better than a 4:3 TV for gaming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.