AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Samsung DLP TV for about 2 weeks now. I was doing a "borrow" plan from Best Buy (LOL... I was going to return it after 20 days) while my Panasonic 47 inch RPTV was being repaired. But the allure of this TV is too strong (must resist the Dark Side.....nooooooo) :eek: Computing on a 47 inch screen (the PC image is slightly bordered) is amazing. I can get the TV for 3900 after tax with 24 month no interest financing. I have a friend who is willing to buy my old TV for 800 dollars (it was originally about 1500 dollars and I had it for 8 months so it would be like I rented it for 100 dollars a month). But I am stuck with a quandary. This will tie up my HDTV funds for at least 2 years. I cannot afford to keep changing TVs every 8 months (but who can I guess :p ). I know TVs get better and cheaper as time goes on... I accept this. However, would I grow to regret my purchase 18 months from now? Would there be something so much better that I would regret spending the 3000 dollars (I'm including in the 800 for selling the other)? And I mean something better that cost equal or less, not some 10k super system. Any info or hypothesis would help me make an informed decision.

P.S. I keep hearing about DLP rainbows, but this picture looks close to perfect for me. I am probably stupid to ask (I know if I get myself to see them, they will never go away, but I don't want to start seeing them after my return period is over) but could someone explain the rainbow effect? Why would others see it when I cannot?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that fact.... same way with PC parts (new 400 dollar vid card every 6 months ...... B###S###.... the newest software doesnt use the features on my old card yet LOL). I wouldnt be shocked to see a similar TV selling for 1000 dollars less in a year. This is my question.... is there any new or better technology coming out in the next 18 months at a similar price range that will make me regret keeping the DLP now. Im not talking tweaked like the difference between the Samsung HLM and HLN models. Im talking so much better I regret my purchase.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The good news about this thread is that I thought the question in your title was going to require some insane speculation about the future of HDTV.

The reality is much less complex. If you like this TV now with your sources, the overwhelming odds are you will like it 24 months from now. And it doesn't wear out.

So you are done. Stop obsessing. :)

mark

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I was scared by the first DLP MItsu and all the problems it had, and when i saw the new Samsungs, they looked great when the broadcast was great, and overcritical big time when it was less then perfect, so when I combined past history and that perception, and then the price tag, I stepped back.

I am not a technology overall expert like many people are, as I quickly illiminated DLP for those reasons, and just didn't look at anything other than CRT after it, but isn't is very reasonable that DLP because it is very new is substantially more expensive then CRT and for that same reason will get much better and cheaper sooner than CRTs which already have gone through that? If you went with one of the better CRT small units, it is cheaper and a little bigger and chances of future loss are less as I see it. I don't know all prices but studied Hitachi big time and their 2nd best unit, with the same lenses at the top unit is the SWX model, and for a 51 inch it is around 2100 bucks. I didn't see any DLP RPTV with a picture that rivaled that set in quality, and although it will have burn in if you don't stretch it, it also has the absolute best analog stretched, and if you haven't seen it, the only way to appreciate it, is to go see for your self, because where it just excels in analog, all the others are just really poor in that regard. That is a bigger set and is 900 cheaper, and because you are concerned about technology, will give you a much lower cost basis, and will be easier to sell 2nd hand because of it.

I guess that loaner plan does pay dividends after all,he he.h

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
douglas, here is my 2 cents:

- HDTV is here to stay and obviously become increasingly prevalent

- DLP is here to stay and is likely to become the mainstream HDTV technology for 40" or larger RPTV's - its main competition being LCD projectors. CRT RPTV''s will vanish. CRT direct view TV's will remain prevalent at smaller sizes, where they will face increasing competition from LCD panels. LCOS and plasmas will have a niche at the high price end. Front projectors will be DLP at the higher price range and LCD at the lower price range. In short, DLP is a good safe choice.

- Among DLP sets, Samsung offers the best price performance. Samsung is the most agressively innovative electronics manufacturer in the world right now - lookout Japan inc..

- For the next 2-4 years, 720p resolution is likely to be the optimum HDTV resolution - after that 1080i/p will become mainstream. By that time, TI should also have their next generation DLP chip with 1920x1080 resolution.

- Meanwhile, there will be incremental enhancement in 720p DLP technology - more DVI ports, improvements in firmware, ....

- It is a given that the price will keep coming down

So keep your set knowing fully well that new features will keep coming and price will keep dropping.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info guys.... anyone else wanna put in their 2 cents? I am still on the fence. Figure I will use 25 of my 30 days and then force myself to make a decision. Its very stressful. but as Jessica here was telling me earlier, "if buying an expensive TV is your worst problem..... life's not that bad..... is it?" Yeah, but its the commitment issue. I decide to keep ole' 5065W. thats my TV for at least 2 years. Commitment? must be a guy thing :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.