AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this was missing from the 4000 model.

Does the 4500 have an SP/DIF out?

That was the only thing that stopped me from buying one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
No, just a Toslink optical digital out as in the 4000's. No coax digital output.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Why is this stopping you from buying one? Does your receiver have optical inputs? Do you know that nothing digital is able to be sent from the box anyway?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Randy, Yes I have optical inputs on my reciver. (Don't most recivers have optical inputs now?)

Patrick, thanks for the reply. I guess I just missed it. I remember looking at the original (rear) pictures of the Replay 4K and there was not a toslink output. Has it always been there?

For some reason I remember others complaining about this.

Maybe I should reduce the dosage?

Thanks for the reply. ;-)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Will the 4000 record a digital bitstream from a DirecTv or Cable Tuner or is it just sending the bitstream that it digitized?

/carmi

·
Registered
237 Posts
It just sends the bitstream it digitized...there are no toslink inputs on the unit.

Some have theorized that the toslink connection is there from when the 4000 was potentially a mp3 server.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I love my replay, except for the sound. Sound is really not great. So I'll probably upgrade to the 4000 series sometime soon just to get that sound.

I can tell a difference between sound that is going digitally to my receiver than two stereo inputs. No it's not DTS. I know it's, at best, ProLogic, if that channel happened to have pro Logic.

No I don't expect 5.1 recording any time soon. Just like I don't expect HDTV recording any time soon. At least until someone really takes the compression scheme a quantum leap forward, or the storage space a quantum leap forward.

I've said it before, the marketing of the 4000 series should have focused more attention on Sound and Component Video capability. . .it was only in actually seeing the manual that I knew they were there.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hroeder
I love my replay, except for the sound. Sound is really not great. So I'll probably upgrade to the 4000 series sometime soon just to get that sound.

I can tell a difference between sound that is going digitally to my receiver than two stereo inputs. No it's not DTS. I know it's, at best, ProLogic, if that channel happened to have pro Logic.

No I don't expect 5.1 recording any time soon. Just like I don't expect HDTV recording any time soon. At least until someone really takes the compression scheme a quantum leap forward, or the storage space a quantum leap forward.

I've said it before, the marketing of the 4000 series should have focused more attention on Sound and Component Video capability. . .it was only in actually seeing the manual that I knew they were there.
how is the sound that much better? with a 4000 i still can't run digital audio out from my cable box into the replaytv. so what's the point of a digital out when they completely miss the whole point by choosing not to include a digital input? that is just silly to me. how many of us with replaytv's are just wasting the superior sound available to us by way of an unused digital output on our cable boxes?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aslagle covered my initial concern. I knew I mistyped that.

I was really wanting to know if the 4500's had Toslink INPUTS, not outputs.

Why in the world would you have a Toslink output with no Toslink input? Doesn't that guarantee that your audio is degraded once it gets to the 4500 unit?

I knew there was a reason I held off from buying the 4k series.

Its a real shame too, I love my 3030, and the features of the 4500 look excellent, but I don't think I can take the audio degradation.

Too bad. Hopefully the Dish 921 is my answer.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The optical connection does have the advantage of not transferring analog noise to your audio equipment. It was a simple fix for a ground loop problem I was having.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder with Optical out. Obviously full benefit only occurs when I'm using a pre-recorded DVD. But I can switch between my various audio sources. The TV, alone, sounds better than Replay. The DVD Player using the optical out does much better than the Replay. Component Video from the DVD Recorder, even though it only has SVideo in is still better than SVideo itself. I do know there's some kind of circuit in the DMR E20 that upgrades, somehow. I've ordered a 4500, so I'll let you know if it's an improvement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.