AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up one of the Samsung DVD-HD841 players a couple weeks ago and I've started notcing every once in a while I get a these little white artifacts/specs/etc... on the screen.

Usualy only one at a time and it only lasts for a second, it's not the end of the world as the picture quality is excellent but I'm a perfectionist and it's driving me up the wall.

I've tried using the DVI cable the unit shipped with and one that was up there with the system in terms of price however I'm still running in to the same issues.

I've searched as best I could but it seems the majority of complaints out there in terms of this player are of the setup/ease of use variety and thus I can't seem to locate anyone reporting a similar problem.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!~

· Registered
14,387 Posts
Sounds like DVI timing issue. I haven't encountered such problem. IIRC, there are two DVI timing modes: mode A and B. The default is mode B. Maybe you should try switch to mode A in HD841 setup and see what happens.

· Registered
40 Posts
I also just got the samsung dvd-hd841 and plugged in a monster dvi cord to the player and the dvd player will not work! I was wondering if there is anything special you should do when first starting this machine. I put in a dvd and all that comes up is a frozen screen of snow. I JUST have a dvi cord going between the tv and the player, are there any other cords that should be connected? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
40 Posts
i keep pushing the dvi sel button and nothing is happening this frozen screen of snow just keeps there.

Also I was just wondering do i also need component cables to make this work? I'll give you guys a direct incerpt of what my instructions say...

"If you want to convert Video Output to Progressive Scan & DVI, you have to first connect Component cable on your tv. Then select Component (P-Scan) & DVI Video Output in the Setup Menu. Then change the TV's external input to Component (525p/480p) within 10 seconds.

*Another side note is that I have been pushing the menu button and the menu will not appear, even in stop mode.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To enable DVI out of the box, as it's certainly a bit tricky, here is what you do.

Plug the composite video cable on one input and plug the DVI cable in to your DVI input. Now turn on your television and select your composite input via your televisions remote (IE Video 1, Video 2, etc... what ever input you've got it plugged in to).

Now go to the setup menu and select DVI as your output. Now you have ten seconds to grab your television remote and switch over to the input where your digital input is located. Once there grab the DVD remote and select "okay."

Now you can unplug the composite cable and you're good to go.

As well thanks for the tip Fox. I seem to remember seeing that option when I was initially setting it up but just ignored it so I'll switch over to A and see if that takes care of the issue :)

· Registered
303 Posts
Have you experienced any sound issues while playing DVD's using the DTS audio track?

· Registered
40 Posts
ok thats good and i think i did it but this weird screen with a lot of blue marks came up. I did not have my dvd player playing as it was stopped. Do you know if i need the player to be playing?

· Registered
40 Posts
OK thanks guys i finally discovered what i was doing wrong and now have it running through my dvi cord but the only problem i have now is that I have no audio at all through my digital output. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think switching over to A cleared up most of it. Haven't had a chance to test many DVDs yet but that cleared up the majority of the problem, at least so far. Don't get me wrong I like this player but I think now I'll probably wind up being paranoid that any little spec or such, be it imagined or not LOL, would drive me nuts so I'm probably going to move it to a less demanding location and check out the Denon 1910.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After more extensive tests I now even more confused than I was when the problem first started :)

I've tested numerous DVDs from B&W, to major releases, to television releases, to just overall low quality DVDs, etc...

and the results are random, some DVDs display these artifacts and some don't. However there is seemingly no connection between the DVDs that do show these artifacts (Most recently I tried a big name DVD, a made for TV movie, and a random quality DVD. Fight Club, Joan Of Arc, Caveman's Valentine respectively and all displayed these artifacts).

Then I tried X2, Crank Yankers disc one and two, Aqua Teen Hunger Force disc one, Sex and Lucia, Dune disc one and two and none in that group showed these artifacts.

In the most recent movie I watches, Caveman's Valentine, when one of these specs would appear it would be a bit more pronounced than with some of the others so I made it a point to keep replaying the section over and over to see if the artifacts appeared every time and in the exact same spot, to my surprise they did.

Now that has me a bit confused as it sounds to me as if there could be a problem with the discs. However every disc I listed and tested above were brand new. They went from factory sealed straight to the player so it doesn't make sense they could've been damaged and especially seeing as how I'm having similar problems with a number of other DVDs.

Anyone have any other ideas as to what could possibly be causing these issues??

· Registered
14,387 Posts
It seems to me that it's either your DVD player or your TV has DVI issues. Easist way is try to exchange for a new HD841 and see if the problem persist. I've tested 3 HD841s in the past and never encounted such problem as you described. What persisted with all the HD 841s I owned are black crush, DTS audio drop and DVD-Audio playback problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.