Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm still waiting for my Digital Video Essentials DVD to arrive but last night I was playing around with my projector settings using the THX optimizer.

I found that I had to set the contrast to 0 in order to get the grey bars showing all the different grey shades from black to white.

If it's setup to 50 (default setting) the white is too white and the white bar and the bar to the left of it are both the same bright white colour. With this test screen the shades of grey go from black to white and are suppose to go up evenly. I found that only with the contrast set to 0 did they all show up as indivual shades.

After setting the contrast to 0 I watched a few scenes from different movies and they all looked great! For example the scene in LOTR (Fellowship) when the Fellowship is travelling on the top of the mountain there is a scene shot from a helicopter of the whole group on the top of a snowy mountain. This is just before Froddo falls and Borameir (SP?) picks up the ring and gives it back to Froddo. If you pause this scene and lower the contrast to 0 you will see way more details on the snowy mountains. The whites are still super bright. This is in Film mode not presentation.

As I said I watched a few other scenes from other movies and they all looked excellent at this setting.

The main reason I'm posting this is because I've read other messages from people saying they've setup the player with those special setup discs and I've read reviewers who have special video testing equipment that never have the contrast this low.

Also with my PC's LCD monitor I have the contrast set way down to are 8 (trange is 0 to 100).

Is there something else I'm missing that is forcing me to lower the contrast down so much or is my projector screwed? Can anyone else here verify the greyscale test image on their X1 shows even spaced grey shades with the contrast set to 50.

Just in case you were following my other thread the IRE setting has no effect on the contrast or white level only the black or brightness level.

Thanks for listening,

Nowhereman.

·
Registered
602 Posts
What is your brightness setting? Did you tune that first before setting contrast?

I got my DVE yesterday and tuned brightness and contrast pretty well. I think my new settings are like 58 and 40. I found that at the default brightness of 50 that I couldn't see the 2% and 4% grey bars.

BTW, I found the contrast section of the DVE to be slightly confusing about how the gray bar pattern should end up looking. They seemed to recommend setting the contrast to the point where it clips a bar or two on the ends. I'll have to watch it again.

I'm having trouble calibrating the RGB gains. See my other thread for info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi dpadair,

Thanks for the response. My brightness level is at 56 (whn using the IRE level 7.5 from my DVD player) but if I set the DVD player to IRE 0 my brightness level is upto 68. The brightness level only affects the blacks on the grey scale bar. The contrast affects the white levels which is my main concern.

It is helpful to hear that the DVE disc says there should be clipping on the two ends. There is definately clipping (the two lightest bars) are the same colour when my contrast is around 50.

I wonder why they suggest to have some clipping as there is more details in the bright area when the contrast is set at 0. I think I'll leave it at 0 for awhile and watch some movies to see how they look. Then when amazon.ca gets off there butt and send me my DVE disc I'll see if it makes the picture better.

I'm glad to hear this isn't just my projector.

Nowhereman.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nowhereman
It is helpful to hear that the DVE disc says there should be clipping on the two ends.
I am NOT positive that's what DVE recommended. As I said, the contrast chapter was somewhat confusing. Personally, I set my contrast to where it just started clipping then backed off 1.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am getting odd calibration results with different inputs on my X1 when using THX Optimizer (from T2 Extreme).

I cannot do the contrast test when using VGA from my laptop. All I get is one large white block rather than smaller shaded blocks. I got the Brightness test working by adjusting settings from the laptop. Settings on the X1 where left at 50.

I next tried the Xbox with HD Pack in 480p with progressive patch. No problems with contrast calibration but I was unable to see the THX drop shadow on the brightness test, but I could see the border boxes so no big deal.

The odd thing is I appear to have a graphic glitch of some sort. Hard to describe and I will try to post an image. The Xbox appear to be unable to display certain colours and substitutes an RGB colour instead. A couple of examples... T2 Extreme edition: On the main menu, the currently selected menu item has a red font but on my Xbox feed it has a green drop shadow. Also getting a primary colour when on some scenes with Roger Waters DVD.

The s-video feed from my Pioneer DVD player calibrates without any of the above problems.

Needless to say I currently watch my DVDs with the s-video feed.

Can somebody help with my VGA input calibration problems ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nowhere man, you must have quite a sophisticated player. In theory you should be setting it for 7.5 for all interlaced sources and 0 for digital connections.

I'm not so sure that one doesn't affect the other either. Increasing your black level should bump up the whites as well. Thats why you want to set your black level first.

I too have found that it is easy to clip your whites. Everybody is always worried about shadow detail, but clipping whites drive me crazy because detail dissapears and things turn to a messy blue/white color.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.