AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a decent budget turntable for a while now, but it seemed like everything sub $200 was pretty terrible.

So I went by the thrift store today and found a Technics SL-B92. The guy at the thrift store hooked it up for me and it seemed to play OK. Asked him how much and he said $5. For $5, I could scrap it for parts to use in my electronics projects, so I bought it.

Got it home and it works pretty well, but I know nothing about turntables. It has an Audio Technica 3003 cartridge on it.

It looks similar to the SL-B20, which I found a manual for, but mine has the pitch control with the strobe and the marks on the platter.

So, basically looking for any info on this. When is it from? Was it a good turntable? Is it still decent today? Do I need to replace anything on it since its origin is unknown?

Oh, and the ground wire is missing. Any idea where to find what model number of ground wire I need? It looks like a circular plug with a notch key at the top.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Do a search for info at vinylengine.com.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
The TT you have is no world beater but it will make some nice music if it's cleaned up. You can go on line to to E-Bay and pick up some B-92 belts for just $7.50. Also you may want a new cart. The Audio Technica AT3482P should do very nicely and it's only $29 at the Needle Doctor. So for $36.50 plus $5 for the TT you should get some good sounding music spinning. Also check on E-Bay I think they have the manual available too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if they used different model numbers for the same item in different markets or what, but I found a manual for the SL-BD22 and it seems to be exactly like my SL-B92.

Anyone know for sure?

If so it will make it much easier to find the ground wire, belt, carts, etc. because it has a parts and spec list for the SL-BD22.

I didn't have any records so I picked up this Beethoven record for 50 cents. It was still factory sealed from 1982. It sounds pretty nice except the buzz from no ground wire.

Some pdf I found said the AT3003 was a "reference" cartridge. Does that seem true?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
The Technics ground wire itself is universal to all of them.

As far as the cart, those are basically universal as well.

Vinyl Engine

Needle Doctor

Music Direct

Those three are really good sources, I suggest phone calls. They can't list every single TT on any of those sites.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts