AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Sony VPL55ES projector which I can return. I am planning on placing the projector at the back of my room which would give me a 17 foot distance to my screen. I am finding that I would need a screen with a 1.2 gain in order for this to look right. Screens that have a real 1.2 gain in the 130 - 135" size cost north of $1200.

If I return the Sony and purchase the Epson 5030/ 6030 projector, will I be able to use a 1.0 gain screen at 17 feet? thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
I currently have a Sony VPL55ES projector which I can return. I am planning on placing the projector at the back of my room which would give me a 17 foot distance to my screen. I am finding that I would need a screen with a 1.2 gain in order for this to look right. Screens that have a real 1.2 gain in the 130 - 135" size cost north of $1200.

If I return the Sony and purchase the Epson 5030/ 6030 projector, will I be able to use a 1.0 gain screen at 17 feet? thanks in advance
Actually your VPL-VW55es will put out more light when it is calibrated for accurate colors than will the Epson 5030/6030. The Epson offer a very bright Dynamic picture mode that is the one they use as the basis for the published high lumens spec., but this mode has a strong green tint and is not really suitable for home theater use. What size screen are you wanting and is your room fully light controlled or do you need to deal some ambient light, such as from windows?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
1st of all, I ain't no expert and a true videophile might get ill viewing my 5030 in action.:rolleyes: I did a very simplistic "calibration" with the Disney WOW disc and to ME the picture looks outstanding shooting from a shelf, 18 1/2' lens to 120" 16:9 screen. Other than 3D it stays in living room mode (OHHH, the HORROR....) on ECO. The room is 95% light controlled--ambient light, room colors, etc. It's plenty bright, sharp as a tack (Super Resolution mostly on 3) and colors are vibrant while looking very natural to ME.
Just MY Honest Opinion, yours may vary.;) Hope it's helpful to some other Joe six-pack.

Ed

Forgot to mention the screen. It's a budget Focupix electric that's supposed to be 1.3 gain. I have no way of knowing if that's true but at it's price I strongly suspect it's much closer to 1.0--matte white.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx for the replies. I was going to go with a 130-135" screen but after measuring, that size screen is too high for the room :( My ceiling height will be just under 7.5 feet. I am now considering a 110" screen and hoping for a 120". The room is completely light controlled.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
For that screen size and room condition, the Sony VPL-HW55ES is the better choice for overall picture quality. In a relatively color accurate mode it will be brighter and have higher contrast. I'd much rather own the Sony instead of the Epson.

·
Registered
32,818 Posts
1st of all, I ain't no expert and a true videophile might get ill viewing my 5030 in action.:rolleyes: I did a very simplistic "calibration" with the Disney WOW disc and to ME the picture looks outstanding shooting from a shelf, 18 1/2' lens to 120" 16:9 screen. Other than 3D it stays in living room mode (OHHH, the HORROR....) on ECO. The room is 95% light controlled--ambient light, room colors, etc. It's plenty bright, sharp as a tack (Super Resolution mostly on 3) and colors are vibrant while looking very natural to ME.
Just MY Honest Opinion, yours may vary.;) Hope it's helpful to some other Joe six-pack.

Ed

Forgot to mention the screen. It's a budget Focupix electric that's supposed to be 1.3 gain. I have no way of knowing if that's true but at it's price I strongly suspect it's much closer to 1.0--matte white.
I bet you are right.

·
Registered
32,818 Posts
thx for the replies. I was going to go with a 130-135" screen but after measuring, that size screen is too high for the room :( My ceiling height will be just under 7.5 feet. I am now considering a 110" screen and hoping for a 120". The room is completely light controlled.
If you have more than one row of seating, then you probably are limited to 110", but if a single row, then you should easily be able to fit a larger than 110" screen in there. What is your viewing distance? With a single row of seating, 133" is about the largest screen you could install and it would be against the ceiling. A 120" screen would fit pretty easily, if single row of viewing. Start image at 22" above the floor. That would put the top of the image about 8" down from the ceiling. If we can help you, give us a call.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I limited my search to Sony and Epson. I ended up with the Sony projector. I am still trying to decide if I am going with the 110" or 106" screen. I am leaning towards a 110" Da-lite HD progressive 1.3. I am hoping there is enough room near the ceiling to mount this. I have a 25" subwoofer sitting on the floor in front of the screen.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Block the screen sizes out on the wall first. Make sure the projector light won't bounce onto the screen by bouncing off the subwoofer top. Consider covering the top of the sub box with Protostar. I would suggest HD1.1 over 1.3 in your case. the Sony won't need the extra gain and 1.1 will give you beter PQ if you walls are not very reflective.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Block the screen sizes out on the wall first. Make sure the projector light won't bounce onto the screen by bouncing off the subwoofer top. Consider covering the top of the sub box with Protostar. I would suggest HD1.1 over 1.3 in your case. the Sony won't need the extra gain and 1.1 will give you beter PQ if you walls are not very reflective.
Why do you recommend 1.1 over 1.3 with a 17 foot throw? Everyone I talk with and everything I read says I will need a gain of 1.2 for that distance with the sony projector. Thx

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Because there really is no "right brightness.' tell me it isn't true, I must be lying. ). there will be no visible change in brightness by going from 1,2 to 1.1. you will notice a slight dimming by going from 1.3 to 1.1. To your eyes, maybe 5% less bright. The lower gain screen will present a more transparent image, more like the screen isn't there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts