AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am building a home theater in my basement. I am trying to figure out the throw distance for the projector I am looking at, the Optoma HD20. From what I read, the HD20 has a throw ratio of 1.50 - 1.80. I am hoping to have a 120" screen. The room is roughly 13 feet long.

Here is the formula I am using right now:

Width (W) x Throw ratio = Distance (D).

A screen that is 120" diagonal would be 105" (8 3/4') in width. So using the formula:

8.75 (W) x 1.50 (Throw ratio) = 13.125' (Distance)

According to this formula, we should be able to get a 120" screen (give or take a few inches) if we utilize our whole 13" room length.

Does this sound correct? Is this realistic? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, but it just so happens my wife and I are planning on sinking the screen about a foot into the wall and building shelving around it, so really the distance from the lens to the screen would still be roughly 13 feet.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The throw distance is measured from the front of the lens, so as lewke said, you will have to deduct the length of the projector and the cables which plug into the rear.

So figure the most you have is 11 1/2' and work from there to determine the image size you will achieve.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Hmm, I made my screen using the panels from Home Depot, and just bought an HD20 yesterday. Not to hijack the thread, but I previously was using an Optoma EP739, and had mounted my pj at 14' with about a 90" screen. According to that (very helpful) chart if I want to keep the 14' throw, I need a 111" diagonal screen. I'll have to check the DIY section for a panel that big, but any opinions on whether I should enlarge my screen or shorten my throw? Room is about 18', so distance is not a problem either way.

Cheers,

Joel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts