AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

currently I have a ATI 4670, xonar slim and TMT3 for playing movies, connected through the pioneer VSX-1018(non-3D capable) to my TV (3d capable).

I would like to play 3D movies in the near future. I know there is no point in keeping the slim if I upgrade to an ATI 6XXX card.

Assuming I upgrade to TMT5 and buy a 6XXX card do I need to remove the receiver and replace it with a 3D capable one to view 3D bluray? If I kept the xonar in the chain would I still be able to view 3D as well?

Thanks,

el_kano

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_kano /forum/post/19565188

Hi There,

currently I have a ATI 4670, xonar slim and TMT3 for playing movies, connected through the pioneer VSX-1018(non-3D capable) to my TV (3d capable).

I would like to play 3D movies in the near future. I know there is no point in keeping the slim if I upgrade to an ATI 6XXX card.

Assuming I upgrade to TMT5 and buy a 6XXX card do I need to remove the receiver and replace it with a 3D capable one to view 3D bluray? If I kept the xonar in the chain would I still be able to view 3D as well?

Thanks,

el_kano

What I am doing is simply replacing my VSX-1018 with a VSX-32, the HD5770 with a GTX460 and getting a new 3D TV.

Everything will be HDMI 1.4 compatible and I will maintain the current cabling setup. i.e one cable from HTPC to AVR, and one cable from AVR to TV. (period)

There is a workaround if you want to keep your 1018 AVR in the chain.

You will need to connect one interface of the GPU directly to the TV and a second interface to the AVR.

This is known to work with the NVIDIA cards, but haven't seen anyone saying it works with ATI.

If you get the GTX4XX or HD6XXX, the xonar slim will become kinda useless as these GPUs can bitstream to the AVR as well.

Good luck...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.