AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I recently hooked up my gaming rig to my 42" lcd tv(about ten years old, Philips 42PF7621D/10). And it's great beeing able to watch any movie online from the sofa and playing games like if it was a console. However there was one thing that struck me when I connected the PC to the tv - compared to the monitor(also old, 19" LG L1930BQ) the picture quality was horrible. My 42" sure only supports 1080i but I can still gaming with 2k internal resolution. I know that the picture will degrade since the ppi is like it is on a 1080 screen no matter what and that it is beeing stretched to 42".

And fine details gets lost in games and movies compared to the monitor.

But Iam wondering if a modern 55"-42" tv(lcd, led, plasma doesnt matter, just the best one) will be able to compete with my monitor when it comes to quality? Since my tv is so old, I'am guessing things must have happened, right?

Thanx!
/Mike

·
Registered
941 Posts
First make sure you set the in game resolution correctly. You are on a 4:3 monitor switching to a 16:9 tv so you need to make sure the resolution in the game is set to whatever your 16:9 tv resolution is which looks like 1366x768.

Second, if you get a new TV it should look better, but it depends what you're playing. You would end up needing a minimum of 1920x1080 resolution TV. If you go this route, you will need to make sure your computer can handle the increase in resolution because once you get to 1920x1080, games begin to become more difficult to run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First make sure you set the in game resolution correctly. You are on a 4:3 monitor switching to a 16:9 tv so you need to make sure the resolution in the game is set to whatever your 16:9 tv resolution is which looks like 1366x768.

Second, if you get a new TV it should look better, but it depends what you're playing. You would end up needing a minimum of 1920x1080 resolution TV. If you go this route, you will need to make sure your computer can handle the increase in resolution because once you get to 1920x1080, games begin to become more difficult to run.
Thanx for your answer.

Hehe, well everything is set up correctly. And I also should mention that I do use a hd cable of course. I know that games will get more cpu and escpecialy gpu heavy on higher resolutions :) But that's not the problem. The problem is that even if I downscale 4k in games it still looks horrible. And it's because the pixelation on my tv. When Iam close to the screen I can clearly see all pixels. Of course, the screen is bigger so it's just the way it is. But Iam wondering if a modern tv would look closer to what my monitor can produce in picture quality. For example, anti aliasing is barely needed on my tv since it just can't show those fine details like the monitor does. But will a modern tv show those details?

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you got a tv that was at least 1920x1080 resolution it should look much better as you would be adding an extra 1,024,512 pixels to the tv. Your current computer monitor is about 260,000 more pixels than your current tv and those pixels are smaller being on a 19" monitor. Imagine removing 260,000 of those pixels from your monitor and putting the remaining pixels on your tv and then stretching each pixel to accommodate for the 42" tv. Your left with less pixels on a larger display which shows a worse image. Now if you get a 1920x1080 resolution tv you would be adding over one million pixels to your tv. It should totally look better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you got a tv that was at least 1920x1080 resolution it should look much better as you would be adding an extra 1,024,512 pixels to the tv. Your current computer monitor about 260,000 more pixels than your current tv and those pixels are smaller being on a 19" monitor. Imagine removing 260,000 of those pixels from your monitor and putting it on your tv and then stretching each pixel to accommodate for the 42" tv. Your left with less pixels on a larger displaying which shows a worse image. Now if you get a 1920x1080 resolution tv you would be adding over one million pixels to your tv. It should totally look better.
Thanx!

Yeah I figured since my tv only handles 1080i and not 1080p, at least that part should make it look better than my current tv.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts