AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 120G iPod to replace an older 30G iPod. The 30G device is loaded to capacity and due to hard drive space, 90% of my ripped CDs are no longer on my iTunes/PC. I saw no reason to keep the songs on my PC as I never listen to them via iTunes and the PC.

I contacted the local Apple Store and asked if there was any way to move the data from the 30G to the 120G and was told that I could just connect the 120G to my PC and iTunes would populate it. When I explained that the data was no longer on my PC, I was pretty much told that I was fu*cked and I would have to re-rip all of the data.

Can anyone offer an alternative solution?

·
Registered
233 Posts
there are many programs to make it happen. Apple tech support has probably been told not to tell anyone for fear of copyright infringement. Try this one, hear it works well.

http://www.getsharepod.com/

Use Sharepod to remove the songs from your 30GB iPod, then transfer them from PC to the 120GB. Now that you have a bigger ipod however, you may want to think about ripping them again anyway in apple lossless format if you haven't already.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank for the reply, WCoast02. I will look into the software in the link that you provided. However, the main problem that I have is trying to move 30G of iPod information onto a 40G PC hard drive.

Do you know if it can be done in smaller increments?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

Sharepod worked flawlessly and did exactly what I needed it to do. Cool little program.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only poblem I have now is that I made the mistake of upgrading iTunes to v9.0. Now Sharepod does not work.

I just e-mailed tech support (Jeff) as well as tried to post on their message board. Just waiting for an answer.

·
Registered
233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgido759 /forum/post/17177052

Only poblem I have now is that I made the mistake of upgrading iTunes to v9.0. Now Sharepod does not work.

I just e-mailed tech support (Jeff) as well as tried to post on their message board. Just waiting for an answer.

Another rule with steve jobs. NEVER upgrade unless you want the features that are added. Typically the iTunes upgrades just block 3rd party software, prevent syncing with other devices(like the palm pre), or adds some DRM protection.

Oh, and wouldn't bother with tech support at Apple. Share pod will have to put out a patch once they figure out what Steve Jobs changed. Have you tried re-installing sharepod?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoast02 /forum/post/17180825

Share pod will have to put out a patch once they figure out what Steve Jobs changed. Have you tried re-installing sharepod?

New "preview" version of Sharepod released on 9-14 solved part of the problem. It recognizes the iPod & data but does not include the album artwork.

Minor problem that I can deal with until it i finalized.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts