AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ripped my first couple of DVDs today



I used DVDShrink and ripped to Video_TS and Audio_TS folders (although the audio folder was empty???). I just ripped the main movie, English 5.1 soundtrack and English subtitles. Super easy and plays perfectly in 7MC and the receiver lights up with Dolby Digital.


In the options I selected "No Compression." The rips came out around 4-5 GB each. It looks and sounds good... but it's tough to compare to anything without a side-by-side option.

My question is this: is my rip an exact bit-for-bit copy both for video and audio as the DVD? When I play it through 7MC is it more or less the same as just playing the DVD? That's my goal.


P.S. I also downloaded both Media Browser and Meta Browser... awesome!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts
Yes and yes.


BB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 /forum/post/18158340


In the options I selected "No Compression." The rips came out around 4-5 GB each. It looks and sounds good... but it's tough to compare to anything without a side-by-side option.

Tip: If all you want to do is rip @ 100% then set DVD size to DVD-9 (Double Layer - 8.9 GB) under 'Preferences' and you won't have to select 'No Compression' every time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Also, just a FYI, I used to use DVDShrink 3.2 for all of my DVD rips, but ran into a few that it couldn't rip and had to get AnyDVD, now I just use that, for un-compressed ripping and it does just as well for me, since I never did any compression or de-selecting of anything, just pure bit-for-bit rips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,807 Posts
Yeah you are going to find that dvdshrink cant do every disc. Thats why I went with anydvd. DVdshrink just doesnt keep up with all the CSS keys I think.


MY fav feature of anydvd is to select it to play the main menu when the disc is inserted. When you are using media browser and you click on the movie it jumps right to the main menu! No waiting! No FBI crap! NO ADS! Its just like how it should be if you pay $15-20 for a movie...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/18160350


Yeah you are going to find that dvdshrink cant do every disc. Thats why I went with anydvd. DVdshrink just doesnt keep up with all the CSS keys I think.

AFAIK, DVD Shrink is no longer updated.


While AnyDVD is very beneficial from a HD standpoint, for those just wanting to do DVD backups, you can utilize DVDFab for free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I downloaded the free trial for AnyDVD. Very nice program... but very expensive too!


If you're using AnyDVD to break the copyright protection, it really doesn't matter if DVDShrink or DVDFab can do it, right? That's the part you guys are talking about when you say DVDShrink can't do every disc, right?


Anybody use the Blu-ray DVDFab? And it looks like DVDFab is charging for even the DVD software...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 /forum/post/18160860


If you're using AnyDVD to break the copyright protection, it really doesn't matter if DVDShrink or DVDFab can do it, right? That's the part you guys are talking about when you say DVDShrink can't do every disc, right?

Correct. If you have anydvd (hd) running, then the fact that DVD Shrink is no longer updated, and can't break all DVD encryptions, doesn't matter. Anydvd hd is one htpc program that I feel is worth every penny.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top