AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound weird to you (I live in Europe and want to install some US type outlets) but I need to know which hole should be hot and which one neutral. When you face a US outlet you see 2 slots and one hole which is obviously the ground. The left one is a tilted T slot which I assume is neutral and the slot on the right is the hot (phase) Am I correct?

·
Registered
817 Posts
It sounds to me like you have a 20-Amp recepticle - they have a slot that looks like a "T" laying on its side. Anyway, the rule that is followed is to connect the neutral wire to the silver screw on the device. I suspect that the "T" slot is the neutral side, but a quick continuity check with a volt/ohm meter (before hooking up the device, of course!) will answer this for you. Put one probe on the silver screw, and see if placing the other probe into the "T" slot gives you continuity.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Cabinboy
US Power is 110V 60Hz

EU Power is 220V 50Hz

Plugs wont work, you need a power converter.
Cabinboy, I'm all aware of the electrical differences and have been using US receptacles for a long time. Eventhough US type outlets are rated only for 110V, they work with 220V and have no problems. I just wanted to be %100 sure about the connections of the Hot and Neutral wires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.