AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. i can plug my flash drive into a usb port and watch a dvd or divx on my dvd player, so i was wondering would this also work with say a 500 gig external HDD??? has anyone done this? and if you have please recommend the best upconverting dvd player with USB 2.0 that CAN do this? thanks!!!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Yes as long as the hard drive is externally powered (plugged into the wall outlet for power), formatted to FAT32 using Swissknife or similar, and USB cable is good quality and not too long (over 6 feet). Phillips 5990/5992 has USB2.0, DivX/Xvid, region free via remote hack, and uses Mediatek chipset for good upconverting PQ (up to 1080p)--all for under $60 from Best Buy, Walmart, or Costco.

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would an oppo dv981 or dv983 be a better choice? is it worth the extra money? i am running a 1080p benq w9000 projector. thanks!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If you have the money and watches a lot of SD-DVDs, then yes it would be worth it due to Anchor Bay scaling and upconverting. It's the best upconverter for SD-DVD you can buy. If you're ready to move on to Blu-Ray then SD-DVD upconversion is not worth the cost. Phillips 5990 will be good enough for daily viewings. For $400 (or less) you can buy an entry Blu-Ray player or PS3 game machine.

If I was to go Oppo, I would stick to $400 983HD as $200 981 is old news. DCDi can cause macroblocking on some displays (dark blotches on dark scenes, mostly on plasmas but can be seen on other displays too on some tittles). I personally has Philips 5990, PS3, and no Oppo as I don't feel it's worth it to me for the $400 cost.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/14228379

would an oppo dv981 or dv983 be a better choice? is it worth the extra money? i am running a 1080p benq w9000 projector. thanks!

The Oppos have firmware limits on the number of files they can see, something like 700-800. Also a limit on the disc size? I forget what people have reported there.

Video files with greater than SD-DVD resolution (720x480) will not play.

Divx is ok, but support for DVD structures on data disc (.VOB) is very limited, and not officially supported.

-Bill

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i already have a PS3...so i was just looking for another upconverting dvd player that would read of a HDD. i don't have many blueray movies yet (price) and i had the pioneer 400dv but sold it to a buddy who needed a player. i thought the ps3 would play pal, but it doesn't.l..so i needed an alternative. i'll look into the Philips

1 - 6 of 6 Posts