AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Panisonic 58S2 plasma and I want if I can watch the TV and use the break-in slides when I am not watching the TV.

I have already watched 12~20 hours of TV on the thing. Did I defeat the chance of using the break-in slides?

Can I watch TV during the day and run the slides at night to help age the phosphors or does is mixed-mode viewing thing not workable.

Thanks.

·
23,032 Posts
No. Break-in slides don't do anything different than watching the display. Just calibrate as best you can and enjoy your new TV! If you really want to age the phosphors quickly, put up an all white screen (some panels have white screen option) and turn the contrast all the way up.

larry

·
Registered
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by naimbeg /forum/post/19552104

I just bought a Panisonic 58S2 plasma and I want if I can watch the TV and use the break-in slides when I am not watching the TV.

I have already watched 12~20 hours of TV on the thing. Did I defeat the chance of using the break-in slides?

Can I watch TV during the day and run the slides at night to help age the phosphors or does is mixed-mode viewing thing not workable.

Thanks.

Look here for lots of (maybe too much) info:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=949107

Here is one of my recent posts in that thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan2206 /forum/post/19551263

hey guys i'm really new to this burn in procedure and am trying to learn through research. i bought a LG 42PJ350 42" 720p plasma today and want to do the burn in procedure. I have lowered the contrast and brightness to about 36 (am i overdoing it?) and i dont leave the same channel on for more than an hour. am i doing fine so far? i want to try the burn in procedure so i downloaded the pictures from webapalooza.com/plasma but what do i do now? i kno i have to tranfser the images as a slideshow and each image shud stay for 10 secs each but how long do i let the slideshow keep going per day?

1 more question - bcuz i watch alot of sports, would zooming in enough so that the scores and ticker dont show help for the burn-in procedure?

i know its alot of questions.. i hope someone can help me, thanks alot

I took a quick look at the 42PJ350 manual. On pg 58 it says if you pick a folder on a USB memory drive and select Slideshow that it will play thru all the pictures. (Might just put 2-3 pictures in a folder first and make sure it never stops repeating. It is important that it repeats / starts over after the last picture and never stops. Then go with all 120 if it repeats continuously.)

As for the duration, it looks like the TV has some presets for "Slide Speed". I'd just go with the one that is closest to 10 seconds. (I don't think it matters much though. You would just get thru them faster at a faster speed.)

I don't think it matters much on brightness/contrast. I brought mine down a bit just for normal viewing. (It only really matters if something is statically on the screen.)

I enjoyed the TV normally during the day.
And ran the slides overnight each night till I got to 100 hours total.

(I didn't do any special stretching, limit my watching, etc. I just checked at the end of the day if there was any IR... If I saw some IR at night then the breakin slides would normally take care of it by morning. If I still saw IR in the morning, which I never did, I might have changed my habits a bit. Also I left the burn in prevention stuff on.)

If you read thru this thread you'll see that it's 50/50 on if this burn in process is even necessary. But I figured it wouldn't hurt anything, as long as the slides never stopped, so I did it anyway.

(Btw. My TV is a PN50C8000, but it should be similar for all plasmas.)

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/19552406

No. Break-in slides don't do anything different than watching the display. Just calibrate as best you can and enjoy your new TV! If you really want to age the phosphors quickly, put up an all white screen (some panels have white screen option) and turn the contrast all the way up.

larry

my question for that is if u watch tv about 8 hours during the day and then leave the slides on all overnight wouldnt that fry the tv?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts