AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI Joe Sixpack /forum/post/20780089

Are there any better codecs than the "Sony AVC/MVC" one already provided in Sony Vegas for rendering to H.264?

Sadly not yet. I tried the trial version of Vegas 10 and used those codecs but quality was always less than my original video.

Still Vegas is light years ahead of the codecs used in some of the other editing programs.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Interesting! I did try some of Vegas 9 rendering and noticed loss of resolution converting to 1080i/60. I found converting my Panasonic 1080p/60 files to 1080p/30 AVCHD in the Panasonic HD writer 3.0 software looked the best. I didn't try a 1080p output in Vegas though. 1080i was softer and blurred more during pans. I can speed up conversion to 1080i using the camera and HD writer software together for a much quicker render I read. I have not tried this method yet.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI Joe Sixpack /forum/post/20780089

Are there any better codecs than the "Sony AVC/MVC" one already provided in Sony Vegas for rendering to H.264?

x264 is very good, but you can't use it from within Vegas, typically you render out to an uncompressed codec like Lagarith then use something like MeGUI to give you settings into x264.

x264 is free!

Regards

Phil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts