AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to the forum and searched for an answer to my question, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I have an OnQ 3x8 Enhanced Video Module. This module amplifies up to 3 coax inputs and distributes the amplified signal via coax to 8 locations (manuals says "Engineered to have zero signal strength loss (unity gain)"). I want to send a backfeed line from two rooms with DirecTV satellite receivers back to the video module for distribution to the rest of the house (and also to the rooms with the receivers). The goal is that any room can see the output of either receiver. I am using two OnQ RF Modulators to place the output of the receivers on two different UHF channels.

Im trying to do this across a single coax line to each of the two rooms with the receivers (separate coax from the satellite receiver, though). This involves using a splitter at the video module to feed the lines to both the input and the output of the video module. There is also a splitter in each viewing room to combine the signal from the video module with that generated in the room from the receiver. Attached is a diagram of the proposed configuration.

This will result in a signal that has already been amplified by the video module being supplied back to the input of the video module. Will this damage the video module? Any chance it will damage the equipment (TVs, RF Modulators) in the viewing rooms?

Thanks,

Eddie

OnQ Distribution Diagram.pdf 9.8720703125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
That OnQ 3x8, I think, only amplifies one of the three inputs (meant for CATV or antenna). The other two are split without amplification and are meant for modulators -- which have an already high gain and are meant to be split before distribution.

That said, I think that using the same coax for both upstream and downstream signal is a sketchy approach. I don't know whether or not it would work & am curious. I don't think that there's a risk of damaging your equipment by trying.

The way that I would do it (and have done a very similar install in my house) would be to have both satellite receivers (and their respective modulators) at your hub location (where the 3x8 OnQ unit is). The disadvantage of that approach is that you won't able to connect the satellite receivers directly to your TVs -- which means no HDTV.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.