AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have tried reading other threads, but still haven't quite grasped the concept of this.

I have an Onkyo HT-R340 receiver that says it is 105W x 5.

They have a deal on amazon for a Pioneer VSX-1020-K that says it is 110W x 7.

I'm planning on keeping 5.1 system, so do those 2 extra channels add to the other?

I'm wanting to upgrade to some Klipsch floor speakers eventually, but can only afford 1 part at a time right now. Is the Pioneer that much better than my Onkyo? Please let me know which route I should go.

Right now I have a complete system from RC Willey that i bought a little while ago that came with the 5 speaker set up and the sub and receiver. After researching more I found it better not to buy the box set-ups and build my own. Let me know where to start to build a better system. I only own a 1400sqft home so my living room is not very big, however it does have a vaulted ceiling that I'm not sure if it makes a big difference or not

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Receiver specs are pretty meaningless. Neither of those receivers will approach anywhere near their stated power. Besides, the difference between 105w and 110w is nothing as you need double the power to gain 3db. Klipsch speakers are pretty efficient so virtually any receiver will power them no problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rnatalli,

So what would be the advantage of buying the Pioneer to replace my Onkyo audio wise? The input/info you receive from the Pioneer is a nice feature, but I'm pretty illiterate to that kind of thing so it would have no advantage to me.

·
Premium Member
93,204 Posts
Those are both entry level AVRs and not likely to be much different audio fidelity wise. You would be much better served first upgrading your speakers so you can then try your new speakers with whatever new AVR you decide to upgrade to down the road. Also, as implied there's not going to be much difference between a 90W vs. a 120W AVR (ie going from 64W to 128W in power only results in 3db difference in volume which is only barely noticable by the human ear).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.