AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My receiver is a Sony HT-DDW990. The output is 140w per speaker, and 200w for the sub. I'm looking at upgrading to the Polk T15's, which have a recommended amplifier output is 100w per speaker. What happens when I use these speaker with my amplifier? Does it ruin the speakers, does it negatively effect the sound?

I'm already running a Polk csi A3 center channel, which I love. Is purchasing these T15's a bad call? Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
19,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubahustle /forum/post/19651103

My receiver is a Sony HT-DDW990. The output is 140w per speaker, and 200w for the sub. I'm looking at upgrading to the Polk T15's, which have a recommended amplifier output is 100w per speaker. What happens when I use these speaker with my amplifier? Does it ruin the speakers, does it negatively effect the sound?

I'm already running a Polk csi A3 center channel, which I love. Is purchasing these T15's a bad call? Thanks in advance for the help!

Are you using the T15 for fronts or surrounds? The T15 will be OK for

surrounds. There are better choices for the front. If the Sony makes

it up to 140 watts - then that is a small miracle.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here is what I think I know. Mismatch in watts isn't a big deal unless you are planning to turn the volume all the way up. Higher watts on the receiver equals crappy sound (and possibly worse) if turned up higher than the speakers can handle. But practically, this usually isn't a problem.

In terms of the front and center speakers, the recommendation is that they match tonally. If they don't, the sound will appear mismatched up front and you likely will not like it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for your answers.

Droopdog, what's the best way to know if they match up tonally? Is there a spec that I can look at that will help me with this? Is there another way? I'm new to all of this and really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
19,827 Posts
You need to go by brand and model number - what fronts are you

using now with the center? The Csi3 and T15 will not match for

front channels. The Csi is a member of the Rti family. The Csr is

the match for the T15.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
rarely, if ever, would you run your receiver at a volume level that would require 140 watts RMS output. Normally you are using 1/10th of that, and since the high demand low frequencies are usually handled by a powered subwoofer, the receiver is quite comfortable at 15 to 30 watts output.

Since this is an HTiB, the wattage rating is grossly over-stated. 140 wpc at 10% distortion at 6 ohms means something like 30 wpc at normal listening levels and reasonable 1% or less distortion and an 8 ohm load like the T15's.

while the T15's are certainly at a price point right now, for a real step up from your HTiB speakers you may want to look at Polk Monitor 30's or 40's from newegg.com

·
Registered
19,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter
Since this is an HTiB, the wattage rating is grossly over-stated. 140 wpc at 10% distortion at 6 ohms means something like 30 wpc at normal listening levels and reasonable 1% or less distortion and an 8 ohm load like the T15's.
A receiver with no muscles.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubahustle /forum/post/19652990

Thank you guys for your answers.

Droopdog, what's the best way to know if they match up tonally? Is there a spec that I can look at that will help me with this? Is there another way? I'm new to all of this and really appreciate your help.

What ziegl said. The easiest way to match speakers is to get speakers from the same brand and the same line within that brand. Other than that, I am not sure it is possible (though you may be able to get speakers that are close enough). Not sure how to go about doing that though?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts