AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a couple of weeks of research and looking at the sets on my own, I picked up the Panasonic 50LC13 this weekend. So far I'm nothing but impressed. It is replacing a 36XBR400 and I'm astounded at the color, the geometry and the all-around fantastic picture. I know there's a lot of different opinions about LCD vs. DLP vs. CRT but what matters is what you see in the end, and the LCD did it for me. And with video games, wow!! I played some Soul Calibur 2 on the Xbox in 720p mode and the picture is phenomenal; absolutely gorgeous.

Now on to my question. I have a Pace high-definition box from Time Warner Cable and it's connected to the tv with the DVI input. Should I set the box to 720p output or 1080i? I'm guessing 720p because of the tv's native resolution, but would I gain anything by letting the tv downcovert the 1080i signal to 720p?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Try both and test it out for yourself. I think you've answered your own question, 720p would match the native resolution of the set. There's certainly no harm in trying both to prove it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My understanding:

If you're watching 720p programming and set your box to 1080i, you would have to convert the signal twice before it hits the screen: to and from 1080i. I believe that almost no programming (except what -- ABC, right?) is 720p, however, so this shouldn't be a big problem unless you see an issue with ABC. If you set your box to 720p, there should be no rescaling at all.

If you're watching 1080i programming, however, a conversion will happen to 720p either in the cable box or in the TV. The question is: which of these two devices does a better conversion? I don't think the scaler in the panny is anything phenomenal, but I also believe this particular job is not too hard to do "correctly", so both may do a fine job of it. (Something like the 3:2 pulldown is probably more difficult to pull off well. I'm no expert, however.)

For what it's worth, I tried both 720p and 1080i outputs with my 50LC13 with my Motorola 5100 from Comcast, and I couldn't see a difference.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just a question. Why are you replacing your 36XBR400?

I replaced my 36XBR400 with the 50LC13 too because I was having serious problems with the Sony.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.